This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Gulraj Bedi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Of Likes, Comments, Shares And Everything In Between

More from Gulraj Bedi

“Why am I not getting likes on this damn picture?” How many times do we ask ourselves this question an hour after we’ve posted a picture on Facebook? There are many people out there who waste their time asking people to like their posts and pictures.

We live in a world which happens to be brimming with social media (Facebook, WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Instagram). This list is very much never-ending. It is a world wherein we constantly compare ourselves with others. “Why on earth do they have this dress?” We always ask ourselves why we can’t look a certain way. The saddest part is that  we keep comparing ourselves to people we don’t even know.

Have you ever seen anybody posting a picture of himself wherein they are watching TV on a fine Sunday afternoon while sitting in a loose set of boxers? No, you haven’t. People click photographs when they look presentable. They’d post a picture while enjoying a vacation at a seaside resort in Goa. The location would be breathtaking, and so would be the dress worn by the person. So, to top it all, people try to paint a rosy picture. They won’t tell you how they look when they role out of their bed, early in the morning. The picture painted by them is very much incomplete and distorted.

Now comes status. People click photographs to showcase what they’ve got. From the shiny and glittery dresses to the latest smartphones and headsets, everything is snapped and posted on social media. Here, happiness is an important element. People post pictures which make them feel happy. All of us, as individuals feel happy when we post a good picture and get likes on it.

Now, the problem is: our happiness is short-lived. As soon as we find that our friend has posted a better picture, we begin feeling inferior. Let me be very clear, I am not trying to preach to anybody how to live his/her life, and neither am I pointing a finger at anybody. I firmly believe that all of us should be free to post whatever makes us feel happy, given it doesn’t hamper the integrity of those surrounding us. What needs to change is a person’s overall focus on life.

Social media, in all fairness, has become the indomitable force controlling our lives. Ours is a world where likes and shares have started to shape our lives. Our lives have begun revolving around social media. We need to take a moment out of our lives and think, “Were we really brought into the world for this very purpose?” The simplest answer would be a big “no”. To put things simply, in our attempt to find acceptance in life, we began comparing ourselves with others. As individuals, we always wish we could live others’ lives. In our bid to earn likes and shares, we’re missing out on other beautiful things happening around us.

All I’d say is: “We need to live in this moment.” Form relationships with real people, and not just with Facebook friends. Enjoy the moment you’re living presently, and just forget about what people have to say. I am sure all of us would have much better things to do in life than to compare our lives with others.

To conclude: Life is measured by the good deeds we do and the promises we keep, and not by the quality of our social media posts.

1. Prasun Parimal

Nice observation.

1. Gulraj Bedi

Thank you, Prasun Sir.

More from Gulraj Bedi

By PRAMOD SINGH

By Swati Gupta

By Javed Abidi Foundation