In The Long History Of India, We Are At Another Tipping Point: Sexual Violence

“Yeh daagh daagh ujaalaa, yeh shab gazidaa seher

Woh intezaar tha jiska, yeh woh seher to nahin

Yeh woh seher to nahin, jis ki aarzoo lekar

Chaley thay yaar ke mil jaye gi kahin na kahin…

Abhi garaani-e-shab mein kami nahin aayi

Najaat-e-deedaa-o-dil ki ghadi nahin aayi

Chale chalo ki woh manzil abhi nahin aayi.

( “This stained light, this night-bitten dawn;

This is not that long-awaited day break;

This is not the dawn in whose longing,

We set out believing we would find, somewhere…

Night’s heaviness is unlessened;

The hour of the heart and spirit’s deliverance has not yet arrived;

Let us go on, that goal has not yet arrived.”)

—By Faiz Ahmed Faiz, 15th August 1947.

Every country has its moments of reckoning, a historical tipping point. In our sub-continent, several moments of reckoning keep knocking on our doors and historical tipping points tip over as we sit glued to our TV sets or computer or phone screens, oblivious to the calamity around us. The image where a man is holding a sign that says, “Apocalypse happened while I was on Facebook” is a no longer funny because it seems pretty much the reality of India right now. We are facing yet another moment of reckoning, and it’s about women’s safety.

Gurmeet Ram Rahim (L) and Asaram Bapu (R), both accused of rape.

In a deeply misogynistic sub-continent, where sex education is prohibited, women’s bodies are tightly regulated and controlled, even as self-proclaimed god-men roam around naked, or rape women in the guise of religion or tradition.

In South Asia, it is alarming the way majoritarian communities treat our minorities and the marginalized, especially, the wars against minorities that are waged on the bodies of children and women belonging to these disenfranchised communities.

The rampant use of rape and sexual violence during riots or wars have proved that it is a political tool, devoid of sexual desires or lust—it is solely about the desire for power. Through the sexual violence that dominant communities exercise (the power to shame a survivor and her community) by dominating over them through the warped logic that the honour of the community can be taken away by penetrating a vagina. This is the widely accepted logic of a twisted and the perverse society that places ‘honour’ on the body and sexuality of woman-identified persons.

The violent history of the sub-continent and its evolution through bloodshed and human misery has normalised these particular tools. India and neighbouring Pakistan (which also included Bangladesh till 1971), were born through an extremely gory and violent phase in 1947. According to UNHCR, the Partition remains the largest mass migration of people in human history, during which millions lost their lives. The violence, particularly, the sexual violence against children and women was horrific and widespread. What was more disturbing was that there were so many who got away with this—perhaps people we knew and loved were a part of these hate-crimes. There were so many of them that there were not enough courts to try them or prison cells to jail them in India or in Pakistan, and they got away as the chaos of 1947 erased their criminal pasts. Thereby, firmly establishing a system that normalized violence and a society that believed in the legitimacy of sexual violence.

We are the grandchildren of the bloody Partition on 1947 and have inherited the violent system and the politics of hate that seems to be raging across the sub-continent. In 2018, nothing has changed except for worsened conditions for minorities and the marginalized, targeting children and women who belong to these groups. Now hearing or reading about gang-rapes has become a matter of daily news in India, and news headlines, such as, “sexual crimes against children has increased 34% in one year”, or “India’s rape problem” are so common that it doesn’t elicit many reactions from our numbed masses. However, let’s not be mistaken about this moment in history—our tipping point in history is here once again.

Irom Sharmila, the Manipuri activist who went on a hunger strike demanding the end of AFSPA.

Between 1947 and now, many instances of mass violence and gang-rapes targeting specific minorities and marginalized communities have taken place.

In international conflict zones, such as Kashmir and the states of the North East, the Indian state has used the draconian law AFSPA and made rape a State-sanctioned tool to dominate over rebelling masses.

Kunan Poshpora, is an example of how the state and armed forces enjoy the excessive power that they can abuse with impunity.

In mainland India, 1984, there was another moment of reckoning—the year witnessed a series of violent events that led to the horrific and brutal state suppression of the Khalistan movement and its aftermath, including, the assassination of Indira Gandhi, followed by attacks against Sikhs to avenge her death and the majoritarian sentiments. I was just born when the 1984 events took place but as we grew up and heard about them, we couldn’t fathom how a State punishes a whole community for the crime of a few individuals. It took us a while and we learnt our lessons of the politics of hate, a politics that breeds such irrationality that doesn’t even spare children.

In 1992 when the Babri Masjid was demolished, it happened again. The centrist party running the country stood watching like a passive bystander, revelling in the majoritarian sentiments of “Mandir wahi banayenge (We shall build the temple there)”. Even as a child, I was horrified watching the scenes of the Kar Sevaks (right-wing militants/terrorists) climbing up the Babar-era mosque and breaking it down, many of them using their fists. But my country refused to wake up from its slumber and once again, the state had normalized and sanctioned majoritarian violence.

Gujarat Riots

The aftermath of the Babri Masjid demolitions has been long drawn—it is the slowly simmering embers of communal rage. As history is testimony, the communal rage only works for dominant groups and/or groups that are larger in number. India is no exception, and the majoritarian driven Hindutva groups have grown stronger. They not only threaten and destroy the minority and marginalized communities with their simmering communal rage, but they are also bringing havoc upon the country. Several full-fledged outbursts of this communal rage take place every day across the country but the major ones that shook us were the Bombay riots and then later in 2002, the Gujarat riots. The Bombay riots were extremely frightening as they demonstrated how violence lurks within ordinary people and circumstances, waiting for that one trigger moment to jump out and unleash death and destruction.  However, Gujarat riots of 2002 under the Bharatiya Janta Party then led by the current Prime Minister took the level of violence even further. The number of Muslims killed and the sexual violence unleashed on Muslim women and children, where even pregnant women were not spared, was unprecedented. The unchecked violence unleashed in the Gujarat riots normalized violence to yet another terrifying level. In 2013, Muzzafarnagar was another example when the state turns a blind eye (like it does during every riot) and lets Hindutva mobs use sexual violence to terrify, humiliate, and dominate a community.

India is dotted with instances of mass sexual violence mostly perpetrated by Hindu majoritarian terrorist mobs, supported by a culture of apathy, religious fanaticism, extreme patriarchy, and casual misogyny. Since the news of the Kathua case reached us, people shared right-wing propaganda and fake news of other rape cases perpetrated on Hindu women by Muslim men, keeping in line with the right-wing strategy of ‘whataboutery’. This act of sharing fake news is not only grave as it can lead to fueling communal tensions and rioting, it is actually sick. In some perverted sense of logic, it tries to justify a real incident of brutal rape and murder of a child to scare away her disenfranchised nomadic Muslim community, by sharing about another brutal rape and murder of a woman that never happened. Therefore, by the track record of systemic and normalized violence by state and private actors in India, what happened in Kathua or in all the other places was not an aberration at all. They were waiting to happen and fitted in perfectly with the larger scheme of things—the narrative of a Hindu nation propagated by the ruling party and supported by a large number of the population.

The only problem with this widespread acceptance and unleashing of violence, particularly, against children and women, is that it will not spare any one. The experience of some form of violence is universal to all irrespective of caste, class, religion, region. Any feeling of comfort and safety is just that, a feeling that is entirely false and can be violated at any moment.

India vs Hindutva?

The first time I faced sexual harassment I was in Class VI and on my way back from my tutor or perhaps the year before when I went to pick up my sister from Sealdah station. In any case, I was merely a child and wore salwar kameez in both instances; should that provoke lust in anyone? The next time that I remember prominently was when I was returning to Kolkata in a Rajdhani train, and a man tried to molest me at night when I was trying to fall asleep. I will never forget the trouble I took to report the case to the railway police; most importantly I will never forget their response, “Ache ghar ki ladkiya aise report nahi likhwate hai (Girls from good families do not report such cases).” I still travel alone but avoid the side bunks of trains because that is how debilitating the experience is to a person.

Another prominent memory of harassment was when I moved back to Delhi and was staying in Malviya Nagar. I was followed by a car on my way to watch a night show at one of the movie halls in Saket. On reporting the crime, the police repeated the cliché, “Why were you out that late?” Needless to say, no action was taken ever.

Connect these experiences with our everyday lives, where wife and women jokes are the norm, and violence is something that women in the sub-continent learn to live with. Young girls are taught at an early age to walk with their hands over their chest to protect their often non-existent breasts. This misogyny combined with the Hindutva majoritarian hate-politics is a breeding ground for sexual violence waiting to happen. Therefore, in the light of our historical evolution, the systems that normalize violence and the social structures that sanction it, even the most frightening occurrences are not unexpected at all. Even if a little girl is abducted, gang-raped, sedated, and murdered, to send a message to her marginalized nomadic community.

We shouldn’t be shocked that members of the ruling party joined a rally to protect the accused under the banner of Hindu religion and India. This was waiting to happen as the embers of communal rage had reached a point of explosion even as the ruling party and powerful people fanned this hatred and are responsible for increasing hate-crimes against Muslims, Dalits, and tribal communities. We shouldn’t be shocked at the harrowing experience of a teenage girl narrating her ordeal of gang-rape and threats to keep silent from powerful men in her community. We shouldn’t be surprised that her father was beaten up in police custody and died later of the injuries while pleading for justice for his daughter. We shouldn’t be surprised either that economic policies—be it demonetization or Digital India or Make in India or Skill India or failed promises to create more jobs—have not worked and even hurt the Indian economy, yet they have a strong fan base. Especially notable is the otherwise media-savvy and travel-happy heads of the party, refusing to speak about the issues plaguing the country right now or visit those places where lynching-deaths has become a daily occurrence.

Predictably, the strategy to distract the Indian masses from these issues is the fail-proof strategy of a Hindutva rampage, and flaring up communal politics has worked. Hindutva is the ideology that legitimizes majoritarian domination and fuels hate crimes. Sexual violence is only one aspect of the universe of hate-crimes that exist, including, arson, beef-lynchings, and other forms of violence that have increased under the current regime. The ideology promotes divisiveness and doesn’t spare anyone. It identifies the ‘other’, the non-Hindus, as The Enemy, but the definition is not limited and may include non-conformists, dissenters, and rebels within the Hindu community. Therefore, if we do not accept and toe their line, we are all The Enemy.

But despite the threats we cannot and must not toe the line of Hindutva because as the young speaker at the 15th April protests said that, “Hum agar abhi in sab cheezon ko nahi rokenge to shayad democracy, freedom, pyar, dosti aur equality jaise shabd sirf copy-kitabon mein hi padne ke liye rah jayenge (If we still don’t stop these things then maybe words such as, democracy, freedom, love, friendship and equality, will remain only in the books).”

As contentious as the Thomson Reuters report is in making the statement that India is the worst country for women, it has to be read alongside other reports on rising violence in India. The rising attacks against minorities, attacks on press freedom, and, generally, the concern that Indian democracy is at stake, is happening in the current climate of growing Hindu Fundamentalism. Violence in India has come to a full-circle today. The rampant culture of misogyny where mother and sister slurs are popular across regions, in combination with the animosity towards anyone who is different from the majority is fueling the widespread violence. Be it a non-heterosexual person, a non-gender confirming person, Dalits, minorities, particularly, Muslims (because of what they did 2000 years ago, apparently), a ‘beef-eater’, an independent person/woman, and anyone who is considered to be the ‘other, who are critical of policies and ask questions, are under scrutiny and attack. The animosity fuelled by the majoritarian politics has made us apathetic to hate-crimes, including, flogging, mob-lynching and children being gang-raped and murdered. Mob-lynching has surpassed cricket as our national sport now. It is now normalized to see videos of mob-lynching being circulated where children join in to beat people who are old enough to be their grandfathers. Yet these videos of rape and murder-lynching’s go viral as if satiating the bloodlust in the rest of us who join in the mindless violence virtually. And all of this is justified in the name of religion, culture and nation.

Finally, in these dark times, we need to remind ourselves of the broader links between Kathua and Unnao and all the others hate-crimes—they connected to the larger narrative of the Nation State and a homogeneous society in making.

MUMBAI, INDIA – OCTOBER 20, 2005: Mumbai’s Women Demonstration protest against the sexual assault by Police personnel at DG Head Quarter on Thursday. (Photo by Girish Srivastava/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

Remember our history and that these incidents are the by-products of a bloody and botched evolution of the sub-continent that torments us till today. Remember that these incidents have been taking place for so long that they don’t shock us anymore. But remember that now is a final wake-up call to take action in whatever ways we can to stop this hate-mongering narrative of nation and society, and start working on another one where ideas of love, freedom and equality are not confined to books, finding that promised land that our freedom fighters lived and died for.

Featured image: Pinjra Tod/Facebook.
'

Veer Ojas is a 16-year-old who is deeply concerned about climate action and shares a deep emotional connect with Indian forests, having an ecologically inclined family and surrounding. In February 2019, he became aware of the threat to Aravalis, and subsequently attended a series of protests against the PLPA Amendment, including a long human chain along the Sunset Boulevard in Gurgaon. Shortly after, with Manya Anandi, he was a part of a team of children and adults who organised the first Fridays For Future Protest in India on 26th March. However, they felt that this needs to be a children led movement, and formed Climate Action Gurgaon in May. Since then, they have organised the largest children-led protests in India.
He feels that it is important to sensitise ourselves to what we are fighting for, so CAG organised walks through the Aravalli Biodiversity Park, and shortly after organised a 400 children protest to protect the Aravallis.

Sadhviji is a renowned female spiritual leader in India. She is Secretary-General of Global Interfaith WASH Alliance, launched by UNICEF, the world’s first alliance of religious leaders for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, President of Divine Shakti Foundation, a charitable organization bringing education and empowerment to women and children, and Director of the world-famous International Yoga Festival. She also serves as Vice-Chair of the United Nations’ Advisory Council on Religion, and on the Steering Committee of the Partnership for Religion and Sustainable Development. Sadhviji has received numerous awards and recognition for her leadership in India, including from the Cabinet Minister of Water Resources as well as from the Ambassador of the United States to India.

Dia Mirza is an actor, producer, UN Environment Goodwill Ambassador & United Nations Advocate for Sustainable Development Goals. As a champion of nature, Dia Mirza dons many a hat with élan and ease.

Today, Dia has become the voice of environmental and wildlife conservation in the country and a torchbearer for causes related to nature. She was appointed as the United Nations Environment Goodwill Ambassador for India at the UNEA assembly held in Nairobi. She championed the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution along with the UN leading to World Environment Day in 2018 when India was host nation leading to the historic declaration by PM Modi to make India Single Use Plastics Free by 2022. Her exhaustive list of titles include Founder member of Wildlife Trust of India’s Club Nature, Ambassador Wildlife Trust Of India, Ambassador for the Swachh Bharat Mission’s “Swachh Saathi” program, Ambassador for Sanctuary Asia’s Tiger Conservation – Kids For Tigers program, Member of the Governing Board of the Sanctuary Nature Foundation, and the first Indian Ambassador for Save the Children. She believes that the creative arts, cinema, documentaries and photography are powerful tools for social change and conservation.

As the forerunner in reigniting and strengthening the relation between man and nature, Dia is a champion of nature in its truest sense.

Suman Devathiya is a senior Dalit leader from Rajasthan and has been working with the community for more than 15 years. Hailing from the community, she brings with her vast knowledge of human rights law and access to justice for most marginalized communities.

Currently, she associated with All India Dalit Mahila Adhikar Manch in Rajasthan, raising the issues of Dalit women, She is working to protect their rights. Suman brings with her great courage, passion, commitment and energy for the movement. She has independently led Dalit Woman Self Respect March across more than 20 districts of Rajasthan.
Earlier this year, she was nominated by Rafto Foundation to attend the four days training on Women, Business and Rights held in Delhi. She has brought in the critical perspective of Dalit women in this discourse.

After 10 years of being a prime time radio show host and content producer with India’s leading radio broadcast networks, Sucharita Tyagi now works with media brands, publications, and partnerships across the Times Bridge network. She’s also one of the most popular, and more fun film critics on the circuit, her YouTube show ‘Not A Movie Review’ has garnered a sizeable following over the last few years. Sucharita writes for TV shows, is a live events emcee, does not shy away from schooling trolls in the YouTube comment section, and is overall a super neat person.

A classical dancer and a political activist, Sharmistha Mukherjee is a woman with many interests. A highly accomplished Kathak dancer and choreographer, Sharmistha has performed extensively in India and over forty countries abroad. A regular speaker in seminars, Sharmistha has been vocal about women empowerment; sharing her concerns about gender disparity, safety and security of women in India. An active member of Indian National Congress, she is the President of Delhi Pradesh Mahila Congress and a national spokesperson of Indian National Congress. She is a regular columnist on politics.

Meera Devi is the Bureau Chief at Khabar Lahariya, focussing on training and special investigations. She has worked as a reporter in Bundelkhand for over 12 years.

Charu is the first female head of National Legal Cell of the Bhartiya Janta Party’s youth wing. A law graduate from Government Law College, University of Mumbai in 2006, she runs free legal aid centres for women across India and has helped build a network of lawyers who provide free legal assistance to disadvantaged women. Charu also organises training workshops for Legal Cell members across India to help empower the youth on civic and legal issues.
She is a Fellow of the Konrad Adenauer School for Young Politicians and founding member of the India-Israel Young Leaders Forum.

Grace Banu is a Dalit and transgender rights activist. A computer engineer, she is the first transgender person to be admitted to an engineering college in the state of Tamil Nadu. She is the founder of the Trans Rights Now Collective – a Dalit Bahujan Adivasi centred collective of Trans people who are working across India to build trans leaders, support Trans education, and build trans job opportunity.

Abhay Xaxa is the National Convenor at National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights. He is an Adivasi Rights Activist, Senior Campaign Coordinator, Higher Education Campaigner and Social Anthropologist by training and has worked with grassroots organisations, campaigns, NGOs, media, research institutions in different capacities on the issue of Dalit Adivasi budget rights, bonded labour, migration, local self-governance and development induced displacement in central India.

Jothimani is a politician, writer, and social worker. A member of the Indian National Congress, she was elected to the Lok Sabha from Karur, Tamil Nadu in 2019. Before that, she was elected as the Union Councilor of Gudalur West Panchayat, Tamil Nadu at the age of 22. She has been instrumental in developing the villages under her Panchayat and ensured drinking water, electricity, roads, schools, PDS shops, libraries and rain water harvesting. Having joined politics at a young age, Jothimani served separate terms as the General Secretary and Vice President of Indian Youth Congress and Tamil Nadu Youth Congress respectively.

Manuraj Shunmugasundaram is the National Media Spokesperson for the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam party. He is the Chair of the Steering Committee for Australia India Youth Dialogue. He is also a lawyer and practices at the Madras High Court. He is also a part of the Steering Committee for the School of Policy and Governance.

In the past, he has also served as a Policy Advisor to Members of Parliament. In November of 2010, Mr. Shunmugasundaram was selected as a Fellow of the Legislative Fellows Program, organized by the U.S. State Department, in 2010. He also participated in the European Union Visitor Program in 2013 as well as the Australia-India Youth Dialogue in 2014. He was a part of Project Interchange Indian delegation to visit Israel & Palestine in 2017.

Mr. Shunmugasundaram works to advance the cause of responsible politics, participatory governance, and evidence-based public policy. He is a regular contributor to The Hindu, Times of India, Indian Express, Huffington Post and The Print.

वे मृत्यु दंड पाए हुए कैदियों के मानसिक स्वास्थ्य के मुद्दों पर प्रोजेक्ट 39 ए द्वारा किए जा रहे शोध का एक मुख्य सदस्य हैं। इसके भाग के रूप में, उन्होंने देशभर में मृत्यु दंड की सज़ा काट रहे कैदियों और उनके परिवारों के साथ साक्षात्कार करने के लिए यात्रा की है। वे देश के लॉ कॉलेजों में फैले एक कानूनी सहायता क्लिीनिक “परिचय” की भी कोर टीम की सदस्या हैं। यह मुहिम उन लोगों की कानूनी मदद करता है जो NRC की लिस्ट से हटा दिए गए हैं। वसुंधरा ने कॉलेज में क्लीयर और स्ट्रेट समुदाय के लोगों के गठबंधन की भी स्थापना की है, ताकि जेंडर और सेक्शुएलिटी से जुड़े तमाम महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर बातचीत का माहौल तैयार हो सके।
एक कानून की छात्रा होने के नाते, वे मानती हैं कि वंचित लोगों को ध्यान में रखते हुए, समाज में प्रगतिशील परिवर्तन के लिए एक एजेंट के रूप में कानून का उपयोग करना एक कर्तव्य है।
इन्हें अपने Pet और पसंदीदा सेक्सोफोनिस्ट के बारे में बात करना बहुत पसंद है।

2011 बैच के आई.ए.एस. अफसर विशाख जी अय्यर वर्तमान में उत्तर प्रदेश के मुख्यमंत्री के विशेष सचिव हैं। इससे पहले वह यूपी के ही चित्रकूट में डिस्ट्रिक्ट मजिस्ट्रेट थे।
केरल के इडुक्की से निकलकर, विशाख पहले भदोही के ज़िला मजिस्ट्रेट के पद पर रहे फिर मेरठ और वाराणसी के मुख्य विकास अधिकारी के पद पर भी रहे।
एमजी यूनिवर्सिटी कॉलेज ऑफ इंजीनियरिंग, थोडुपुझा के भूतपूर्व छात्र रहने के साथ-साथ वह यूनिवर्सिटी ऑफ ऑक्सफोर्ड के फेलो भी रहे हैं। उन्होंने इलेक्ट्रॉनिक्स एंड कम्युनिकेशन इंजीनियरिंग में बीटेक और पब्लिक पॉलिसी में एमए किया है।
विशाख ने ज़िलाधिकारी चित्रकूट के रूप में अपने कार्यकाल के दौरान, सामुदायिक भागीदारी के साथ मंदाकिनी नदी को पुनर्जीवित करने में महत्वपूर्ण भूमिका निभाई थी। ‘नदी कायाकल्प’ कैटेगरी के तहत चित्रकूट ज़िले को नैशनल वॉटर अवॉर्ड्स 2019 भी प्राप्त हुआ।

एक सोशल एंटरप्रेन्योर होने के साथ-साथ अंशुल युवा मीडिया इंफ्लूएंसर भी हैं, जिन्होंने 17 वर्ष की उम्र में महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर युवाओं को अपनी राय रखने के उद्देश्य से भारत के सबसे बड़े सोशल जस्टिस मीडिया प्लैटफॉर्म Youth Ki Awaaz की शुरुआत की थी। इन 11 सालों में राष्ट्रीय स्तर पर YKA की इम्पैक्ट स्टोरीज़ के ज़रिये सिटीज़न जर्नलिज़्म और जन-भागीदारी आंदोलन में अंशुल को व्यापक अनुभव प्राप्त हुआ है।
बतौर अशोका फेलो, INK फेलो, संयुक्त राष्ट्र के यंग इनोवेटर और फोर्ब्स 30 अंडर 30 में शामिल होकर अंशुल ने राजनीति, जेंडर और आर्ट से लेकर कल्चर तक कई प्रमुख संस्थाओं को ज़रूरी मुद्दों पर युवाओं को अपने साथ जोड़ने में मदद की है।
वह भारत के लिए यूएन वूमन के सिविल सोसाइटी सलाहकार समूह में भी हैं और इससे पहले झटका बोर्ड में काम कर चुके हैं।

बंगलौर की रहने वाली वैदही ने अपने करियर की शुरुआत एक आईटी इंडस्ट्री से की। एक सॉफ्टवेयर इंजीनियर के रूप में वैदही ने भारत और विदेश में लंबे समय तक काम किया। कुछ वक्त बाद इन्होंने अमेरिका से अपनी कॉर्पोरेट नौकरी छोड़ी और पहाड़ों में चली गई। उन्होंने लद्दाख में SECMOL नामक एक इको-स्कूल में बतौर शिक्षक वॉलंटियर किया।
उसके बाद उनका अगला पड़ाव था, वियतनाम, जहां उन्होंने फिर से स्वेच्छा से एक एनजीओ में अंग्रेज़ी शिक्षक के रूप में काम किया, जो कि सापा के पहाड़ों में आदिवासियों का पुनर्वास करता है। इसी दौरान थोड़ें समय के लिए उन्होंने ‘‘Humans Of Bombay’ और ‘We The People’ में लेखक के रूप में काम किया ।
वर्डप्ले ने अपनी पूरी यात्रा उनके साथ की है, और इस सफर में उन्होंने पाया कि ट्विटर उनके विचारों को प्रकाशित करने का एक सुविधाजनक माध्यम था। वैदेही के ट्विटर हैंडल में अब तक के 5000 से ज़्यादा लोग उन्हें फॉलो करते हैं, और लगभग 12.5K लोग वर्डप्ले को फॉलो करते हैं
इस प्रसिद्धि ने इन्हें उनकी वर्तमान जॉब से मिलाया जो कि डुंज़ो नाम का एप है जिसमें वे में सोशल मीडिया कंटेंट लीड के तौर पर कार्यरत हैं।

26 वर्षीय शिखा मंडी संथाल जनजाति से ताल्लुक रखती हैं, जो कि भारत में तीसरी सबसे बड़ी जनजाति है। वे भारत की पहली RJ हैं जो संथाली में पूरे कार्यक्रम की मेजबानी करती हैं। रेडियो मिलान पर उनका दो घंटे का शो जौहर झाड़ग्राम पिछले एक साल में व्यापक रूप से लोकप्रिय हो गया है। इसमें स्थानीय मुद्दों की एक विस्तृत श्रृंखला शामिल है, जिसमें आदिवासी संस्कृति, त्यौहार, और आदिवासियों के सामने आने वाली चुनौतियां शामिल हैं।

नेहा अरोड़ा प्लैनेट एबल्ड की संस्थापक हैं, जो विभिन्न विकलांग लोगों और बुजु़र्गों के लिए सुलभ और आरामदायक यात्रा प्रदान करती है। संयुक्त राष्ट्र के वियना में ज़ीरो प्रोजेक्ट सम्मेलन द्वारा प्लैनेट एबल्ड को सर्वश्रेष्ठ नवीन पहलों में से एक के रूप में सम्मानित किया गया। प्लैनेट एबल्ड को आउटलुक ट्रैवलर और वर्ल्ड ट्रैवल मार्केट, लंदन द्वारा इंडिया रिस्पॉन्सिबल टूरिज्म अवॉर्ड भी प्राप्त है। इसके साथ ही इस संस्था को ट्रैवल एंड ओवर ऑल विनर में बेस्ट इनोवेशन और एनसीपीईडीपी – एमफैसिस यूनिवर्सल डिज़ाइन अवार्ड से भी सम्मानित किया गया है।
इस वर्ष, प्लैनेट एबल्ड को भारत सरकार के पर्यटन मंत्रालय द्वारा सबसे अनोखे और नए पर्यटन उत्पाद के लिए राष्ट्रीय पुरस्कार से सम्मानित किया गया है। प्लैनेट एबल्ड ने भारत का एक प्रमुख सुलभ यात्रा गंतव्य के रूप में अंतरराष्ट्रीय स्तर पर प्रतिनिधित्व किया है। उनमें आईटीबी बर्लिन, थाईलैंड में वैश्विक सतत पर्यटन परिषद सम्मेलन और मालागा, स्पेन में पर्यटन और तकनीक की विविधता पर अंतरराष्ट्रीय काँग्रेस शामिल है।
नेहा एक ग्लोबल गुड फंड फेलो और इंडिया इंक्लूज़न फेलो हैं। ये नैसडैक एंटरप्रेन्योरियल सेंटर MMI प्रोग्राम की ग्रैजुएट भी हैं।
यात्राओं के माध्यम से विकलांग लोगों की समस्याओं और मुद्दों को मुख्यधारा में लाने के लिए नेहा कॉरपोरेट्स, विश्वविद्यालयों, इनक्यूबेटरों और विभिन्न मंचों में सेमिनार और कार्यशालाएं आयोजित करती हैं।

मोहम्मद शम्स आलम शेख एक अंतरराष्ट्रीय पैरा तैराक हैं। इन्होंने 2016 में गैटन्यू, क्यूबेक (कनाडा) में आयोजित हुए पैरा स्विमिंग चैंपियनशिप में 100 मीटर ब्रेस्टस्ट्रोक SB4 कैटेगरी में ब्रॉन्ज जीता था। इसके साथ ही इन्होंने 2018 में इंडोनेशिया के जकारता शहर में आयोजित एशियन पैरा गेम्स में भारत का प्रतिनिधित्व किया था।
शम्स वर्तमान में एक पैराप्लैजिक द्वारा सबसे लंबे समय तक खुले समुद्र में तैरने का विश्व रिकॉर्ड रखते हैं। उन्हें 2018 में बिहार खेल रत्न अवार्ड और ज्वेल ऑफ नेशन अवार्ड 2017 सहित कई सम्मान मिल चुके हैं।

मीर भारतीय प्रशासनिक सेवा (IAS) के 2011 बैच के अधिकारी हैं, जो केरल राज्य में सेवारत हैं। उन्हें अगस्त 2016 में कन्नूर के ज़िला कलेक्टर के रूप में तैनात किया गया था। भारत के पहले प्लास्टिक / डिस्पोज़ेबल-मुक्त ज़िले कन्नूर को यह उपाधि दिलाने में इनका मुख्य योगदान था।
इनके द्वारा शुरू फेक न्यूज़ को लेकर “सत्यमेव जयते” नाम की पहल की गई जो टीचर्स और स्टूडेंट्स को फेक न्यूज़ और गलत सूचनाओं की पहचान करने के लिए ट्रेन करती है।
इस कार्यक्रम को कन्नूर में 200 से अधिक स्कूलों में लागू किया गया था, जिसमें 80,000 से अधिक बच्चे शामिल थे और यह देश में अपनी तरह का पहला स्कूल था। उनका काम भारतीय मीडिया से लेकर ब्रिटेन, चीन और जापान में अंतरराष्ट्रीय नेटवर्क द्वारा व्यापक रूप से कवर किया गया था।
उनके नेतृत्व में, कन्नूर को पांच ई-गवर्नेंस अवॉर्ड मिले, जिनमें जनवरी 2019 में केरल के मुख्यमंत्री का ज़िला सर्वश्रेष्ठ ई-गवर्नेंस ज़िलों में शामिल था।
उन्होंने बड़ी परियोजनाओं का नेतृत्व किया है, जिन्होंने नागरिकों के लिए मूल्य और सुविधा बनाने पर ध्यान केंद्रित किया है। समाज के महत्वपूर्ण मुद्दों पर सरकार से लेकर निजी क्षेत्र और समाज के सदस्यों को एक साथ लाने का प्रयास उनके काम करने की मुख्य प्रेरणा शक्ति रही है।
कन्नूर कलेक्टर के रूप में तीन साल के सफल कार्यकाल के बाद, उन्होंने हाल ही में केरल राज्य सुचितवा मिशन के निदेशक के रूप में कार्यभार संभाला है, जो राज्य भर में वेस्ट मैनेजमेंट योजनाओं के कार्यान्वयन की देखरेख करता है।

मैरी सेबैस्टियन न्याय के क्षेत्र से जुड़ी हैं और काफी लंबे समय से महिलाओं और बच्चों के खिलाफ हो रही हिंसा को खत्म करने में प्रयासरत हैं। इन्होंने मुख्य रूप से महाराष्ट्र में यौन तस्करी के सर्वाइवर बच्चों और महिलाओं को केंद्र में रखकर काम किया है। वे वर्तमान में एक वैश्विक स्तर पर तस्करी के खिलाफ काम कर रहे संगठन, इंटरनेशनल जस्टिस मिशन के साथ काम कर रही हैं, जहां वे
कानून प्रवर्त्तन अधिकारियों की कॉमरशियल यौन शोषण के सर्वाइवर्स को बचाने में सहायता करती हैं और साथ में अदालती कार्यवाही के माध्यम से कानूनी प्रतिनिधित्व भी प्रदान करती हैं। मैरी राज्य स्तर पर सर्वाइवर्स के न्याय-संबंधी मुद्दों की वकालत करती हैं। उन्होंने कॉमरशियल यौन शोषण में गिरफ्तारी की मांग हेतु
राष्ट्रीय स्तर पर एक परामर्श का आयोजन भी किया है। वह वर्तमान में महाराष्ट्र राज्य बाल अधिकार संरक्षण आयोग के साथ महाराष्ट्र के 6 ज़िलों में किशोर न्याय (देखभाल और संरक्षण) अधिनियम, 2015 के तहत चाइल्ड केयर एजेंसियों के कामकाज का विश्लेषण करने के लिए एक शोध कर रही हैं। मैरी वैचारिक लीडरशिप की पहल से तस्करी को लेकर जागरूकता और संवेदनशीलता पैदा करने की दिशा में भी काम कर रही हैं।

मालिनी को 3 उद्योगों – आईटी, मीडिया और यात्रा में 15 सालों का अनुभव है। वे एक वॉयस ओवर आर्टिस्ट और F5 Escapes की संस्थापक / सीईओ हैं, जो एक अनुभवात्मक यात्रा कंपनी है और महिलाओं के लिए भारत में यात्रा को अलग तरीके से परिभाषित करने का उद्देश्य रखती है। वे ना केवल भारत को महिलाओं के लिए सुरक्षित गंतव्य के रूप में स्थापित करने का प्रचार प्रसार करती हैं बल्कि इस दिशा में कार्य करने के लिए भी प्रतिबद्ध हैं। इसके अलावा उनका मानना है कि यात्राओं के साथ-साथ एक स्थाई जीवन भी बहुत आवश्यक है। वे अपने साथियों से सीखने की शक्ति में विश्वास करती हैं और इसलिए अपने कार्यक्षेत्र में लौटने वाली महिलाओं और शुरुआती स्तर के उद्यमियों को प्रेरित करना पसंद करती है।

बसित जमाल कॉन्फलिक्ट रिज़ॉल्यून की अवधारणाओं को समझने के लिए युवाओं को सुविधा प्रदान कर रहे हैं। वे धर्म की शक्ति को एक संघर्ष के बजाय समाधान के रूप में बदल रहें हैं। यह धर्म की शक्ति का संघर्ष ही है जिसने दुनियाभर में लाखों लोगों को मारा है। वे स्कूलों, कॉलेजों, मदरसों और मस्जिदों में इबादत करने वाले छात्रों के साथ काम करते हैं। वे दूसरे को बेहतर समझने के लिए इंटरफेथ संवाद को भी बढ़ावा देते हैं। बसित जमाल “Brotherhood of humanity” के संस्थापक हैं। उन्हें 2017 में अशोका फेलोशिप दी गई थी। वे यूनेस्को के युवाओं के शांति दूत के सह-लेखक थे। उन्हें दुनिया के सबसे बड़े इंटरफेथ संगठन “United Religions Initiative” की सदस्यता भी दी गई थी।

Vasundhra is a fifth-year student at National Law University, Delhi. She is a core member of the research being conducted by Project 39A on issues of mental health of death row prisoners. As part of this, she has travelled across the country to meet and interview death row prisoners as well as their families.

She is also part of the core team at Parichay, which is a collaborative legal aid clinic spread across law schools in the country. It aims to assist those excluded from the NRC list in filing appeals. She has also founded a queer straight alliance on campus, which facilitates important conversations surrounding gender and sexuality. Part of being a law student, she believes, is a duty to use the law as an agent for progressive change in society, focusing especially on groups on the margins of society.

Talk to her about her dog and her favourite saxophonists.

कर्णिका कोहली Scroll.in की ऑडियंस एडिटर हैं। इससे पहले इन्होंने TheWire.in के साथ काम किया है, जहां वह सोशल मीडिया डेस्ट का नेतृत्व और फंडिंग के लिए कैंपेन पर काम करती थीं, साथ ही अलग-अलग आयोजनों का संचालन करने वाली टीम का भी हिस्सा थीं। Scroll.in में इनका मुख्य कार्य इसकी ग्रोथ और ऑडियंस रीच की दिशा में है। यह विशेष रूप से ऑडियंस इंगेजमेंट, इनसाइट्स और न्यूज़मरूम रणनीतियों पर काम करती हैं। यह टाइम्स ऑफ इंडिया और न्यूज़ एक्स के साथ भी काम कर चुकी हैं।

रितु जायसवाल ने 2016 में ग्राम पंचायत राज सिंगवाहिनी से मुखिया पद के लिए भारी मतों से चुनाव जीता था। इस जीत के बाद उन्होंने शिक्षा केंद्रों की स्थापना, खुले में शौच की समस्या से निपटने के लिए शौचालयों के निर्माण, सोलर लाइट्स लगाने, पानी की उपलब्धता और सड़कों के निर्माण की दिशा में खासा काम करते हुए गॉंव में बड़ा बदलाव लाया है।
इसके साथ ही वह स्थानीय निवासियों के साथ जागरूकता को लेकर लगातार काम कर रही हैं। इस दिशा में उन्होंने मेंस्ट्रुअल हेल्थ, बायोगैस प्रबंधन और व्यावसायिक प्रशिक्षण जैसे ज़रूरी क्षेत्रों के लिए जागरूकता अभियान चलाए हैं।
रितु जायसवाल को महाराष्ट्र इंस्टीट्यूट ऑफ टेक्नोलॉजी द्वारा 7वें भारतीय छात्र संसद में “उच्च शिक्षित आदर्श युवा सरपंच (मुखिया) पुरस्कर 2016” से सम्मानित किया जा चुका है। इसके साथ ही वह भारत सरकार के पंचायती राज मंत्रालय द्वारा “सरपंच और पंचायत सचिवों के क्षमता निर्माण कार्यक्रम” में बिहार का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाले 5 मुखियाओं में से एक थी।

वरिष्ठ पत्रकार सौरभ द्विवेदी 10 से ज़्यादा सालों से पत्रकारिता जगत से जुड़े हुए हैं और वर्तमान में द लल्लनटॉप के एडिटर के रूप में कार्यरत हैं। इससे पहले ये स्टार न्यूज़, लाइव इंडिया, नवभारत टाइम्स, दैनिक भास्कर और आज तक के साथ जुड़े रहे हैं।
द लल्लनटॉप, Youtube में पहला 10 मिलियन सब्सक्राइबर वाला लीडिंग हिंदी न्यूज़ मीडिया प्लैटफॉर्म है।

जलवायु परिवर्तन की दिशा में सरकार की जवाबदेही को लेकर मार्च 2017 में रिद्धिमा ने भारत सरकार के खिलाफ एक पेटेशन फाइल किया था। जलवायु परिवर्तन को लेकर गंभीरता दिखाते हुए वह इस साल सितंबर में ग्रेटा थनबर्ग के साथ न्यूयॉर्क में ग्लोबल क्लाइमेट स्ट्राइक में भी शामिल हुईं। इसके साथ ही पेरिस में हुए नोट्रे अफेयर ए टूस (Notre Affaire a Tous) द्वारा आयोजित अंतरराष्ट्रीय सम्मेलन का भी हिस्सा बनीं।
दुनियाभर के पंद्रह किशोर बच्चों के साथ मिलकर रिद्धिमा ने पर्यावरण पर प्रदूषण के बुरे प्रभाव के लिए 5 देशों (अर्जेंटीना, तुर्की, जर्मनी, फ्रांस और ब्राज़िल) के खिलाफ सयुंक्त राष्ट्र में अपनी शिकायत दर्ज करवाई है और वर्तमान में, वह भारत के विभिन्न शहरों में पर्यावरण संरक्षण की दिशा में जागरूकता का काम कर रही हैं।

विराली मोदी एक विकलांगता अधिकार कार्यकर्ता, प्रेरक वक्ता और मॉडल हैं, जिन्होंने 2017 में रेलवे को एक्सेसिबल बनाने के लिए #MyTrainToo नाम का अभियान चलाया है। Change.org पर उनकी याचिका पर 200k हस्ताक्षरकर्ता हैं।

विराली को बीबीसी द्वारा पहचान मिली है और BBC 100 Women द्वारा 2017 की सबसे प्रभावशाली और प्रेरणादायक महिलाओं में से एक के रूप में नामित किया गया था।

विराली 2014 मिस व्हीलचेयर इंडिया की रनरअप थीं, Being Human कैंपेन के लिए सलमान खान के साथ काम कर चुकी हैं और बॉम्बे टाइम्स फैशन वीक, एफबीबी और ज्वेल्स ऑफ इंडिया की शोस्टॉपर रही हैं।

अपार गुप्ता एक वकील और इंटरनेट फ्रीडम फाउंडेशन के एक्ज़ेक्यूटिव डायरेक्टर हैं। इंटरनेट फ्रीडम फाउंडेशन एक भारतीय डिजिटल संगठन है, जो यह सुनिश्चित करता है कि प्रौद्योगिकी हमारे मौलिक अधिकारों का सम्मान करे।

2015 से, वह जनहित के मुद्दों पर बड़े पैमाने पर काम कर रहे हैं, जिसमें रणनीतिक मुकदमेबाजी और अभियानों का आयोजन करना   शामिल है।
अदालत में, एक वकील के तौर पर उनके कार्यों में डिजिटल अधिकारों के केस प्रमुख होते हैं, जिनमें प्राइवेसी और सेंसरशिप के मामले शामिल हैं।

वे धारा 66A, निजता के अधिकार और आधार मामले में जन हित याचिकाओं का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाली प्रमुख संवैधानिक चुनौतियों का एक हिस्सा है।
अदालत के काम से परे उन्होंने कई कार्यकर्ताओं के साथ बड़े पैमाने पर काम किये हैं और नेट न्यूट्रैलिटी SaveTheInternet.in,मानहानि कानून SpeechBill.in और गोपनीयता की रक्षा करने वाले SaveOurPrivacy.in जैसे अभियानों को स्थापित किया है।
अपार देश के संविधान की रक्षा करने और डिजिटल बुराईयों के खिलाफ लड़ाई के लिए प्रतिबद्ध हैं।

अशोक मलिक भारत के राष्ट्रपति के पूर्व प्रेस सचिव रह चुके हैं। इन्होंने 1991 में कोलकाता में टेलीग्राफ अखबार के साथ अपने करियर की शुरुआत की थी और आगे चलकर टाइम्स ऑफ इंडिया, इंडिया टुडे और इंडियन एक्सप्रेस सहित कई प्रमुख प्रकाशनों के लिए काम किया।
2006 में, इन्होंने एक स्वतंत्र स्तंभकार के रूप में अपने करियर की शुरुआत की और द पायनियर और तहलका में परामर्श संपादक के रूप में विभिन्न बिंदुओं पर सेवा देते रहें।
2015 में इन्होंने ऑब्जर्वर रिसर्च फाउंडेशन ज्वाइन किया। इन्हें इंडियन इंस्टीट्यूट ऑफ कॉर्पोरेट अफेयर्स के बोर्ड ऑफ गवर्नर्स के रूप में नियुक्त किया गया। यह राजघाट स्मारक समिति के भी सदस्य हैं, जो महात्मा गॉंधी को समर्पित स्मारकों की देखरेख करता है। 2016 में, इन्हें भारत के चौथे सर्वोच्च नागरिक सम्मान पद्म श्री से सम्मानित भी किया जा चुका है।

आशीष बिरूली सामाजिक कार्यकर्ता, स्वतंत्र पत्रकार, Adivasi Lives Matter के कंटेंट क्रिएटर और Youth Ki Awaaz के पावरफुल यूज़र हैं। आदिवासी समुदाय से ताल्लुक रखने वाले आशीष झारखंड के जादूगोड़ा के रहने वाले हैं। बतौर फोटो जर्नलिस्ट इन्होंने जदुगोरा में अपने घर से महज़ 500 मीटर की दूरी पर स्थित यूरेनियम खदानों के कारण हुए नुकसान का खुलासा किया था।
जदुगोरा में रेडिएशन के प्रभाव पर इनके काम को 2013 में रियो डी जनेरियो में हुए तीसरे और 2019 में ब्राज़िल में हुए नौवें इंटरनैशनल यूरेनियम फिल्म फेस्टिवल में फीचर किया गया था। इसके साथ ही 2015 में क्यूबेक (कनाडा), हिरोशिमा और 2017 में ओसाका में हुए विश्व यूरेनियम संगोष्ठी में भी इनके काम को शामिल किया गया था।

गुलेश ने 9वीं कक्षा तक पढाई की और 17 साल की उम्र में इनकी शादी हो गई। एक गृहिणी के रूप में वे एक खुशहाल ज़िंदगी बिता रहीं थीं लेकिन सन 2003 में एक एक्सीडेंट में पति की मृत्यु के बाद उनके लिए आर्थिक रूप से आत्मनिर्भर होना ज़रूरी हो गया।
इसकी शुरुआत उन्होंने लोगों के घर में खाना बनाने से लेकर, सब्ज़ी बेचने, सड़क किनारे पकोड़े तलने जैसे कामों से की लेकिन यह ज़्यादा दिन तक चल नहीं पाया। करीब 3-4 साल पहले उन्होंने एक उबर ड्राइवर के तौर पर अपने सफर की शुरुआत की। आज वह आत्मनिर्भर हैं और अपने बेटे को अच्छी शिक्षा मुहैया करा रहीं हैं।

Shikha Mandi is a 26-year-old belonging to the Santhal tribe – the third largest tribe in India. She is India’s first RJ who hosts an entire programme in Santhali. Her two-hour radio show Johar Jhargram on Radio Milan has become widely popular in the past year. It covers a wide range of local issues, including Adivasi culture, festivals, and the challenges faced by tribals.

Supriya Paul is the co-founder of Josh Talks, an impact media platform headquartered in Gurgaon, Haryana. Using the power of storytelling, Josh Talks is on a mission to create an ecosystem to help the youth go from where they are to where they want to be.

Josh Talks is proactively doing so by providing exposure to the youth by giving them access to role models and equipping them with skill sets so they can be empowered to take control of their lives. On 25th January 2019, Josh Talks was awarded the National Media Award by Honourable President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind and was named in a list of “Top 50 Startups of India” for 2017 by Economic Times.

Supriya is listed in the Forbes magazine “Asia 30 Under 30” list for 2018 and received the SheThePeople Digital Women Award’17 for Best Content Creation.

Dr Aditi Kaul is the Head of the Arts-Based Therapy Program with Fortis Healthcare under the National Mental Health Program. She is a grade 5 UNESCO and CID certified arts-based therapist who has run the programme pan Fortis for the last 7 years which includes working with persons diagnosed with Trauma, anxiety, depressive disorders, disorders of childhood, adolescents as well as stressors of day to day life using psychotherapeutic techniques including visual art, movement, writing and storytelling.

She has done over 500 preventive mental health workshops with schools colleges and NGOs across the city and has been teaching an “Expressive Arts in clinical practice course” for the last 6 years in collaboration with UNESCO and the Council of International Dance, amongst other short term courses.

Saurabh Dwivedi is a senior journalist with over 10 years of experience. Currently the Editor of The Lallantop, he has previously worked with Star News, Live India, Navbharat Times, Dainik Bhaskar and Aaj Tak.

The Lallantop is India’s leading digital first Hindi news media platform, with over 10 million subscribers on YouTube.

Mohammad Shams Aalam Shaikh is an international Para Swimmer. He won Bronze at the 2016 Can-Am Para Swimming Championships held in Gatineau, Quebec in the men’s 100m Breaststroke SB4 category and also represented India at the 2018 Asian Para Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. Shams currently holds the world record for longest open sea swimming by a paraplegic. He has received several accolades, including the Bihar Khel Ratna Award in 2018 and Jewel of Nation Award 2017

Shubham Gupta is an award-winning Mobile Journalist. He is the Head of Storytelling at People Like Us Create. Shubham has produced more than 2000 stories and his stories have also been shared by publications like Hindustan Times and Al Jazeera.

Tamseel Hussain is the Founder of People Like Us Create. He is a mobile storyteller & social media expert. With over a decade of experience, he has previously worked with organisations like Change.org, Oxfam, Greenpeace, civil society groups, media houses, tech-startups, and politicians. Tamseel helps build award-winning platforms, citizen-led campaigns, youth-focused public engagement, placemaking to building an ecosystem for community first storytelling in India, the middle east and Southeast Asian countries.

He also co-founded letmebreathe.in – India’s largest pollution storytelling platform, it now has more than 300 storytellers from 11 Indian cities. They host 25 decision-makers via city-specific sessions and their partners include Twitter India and UN Environment amongst others.

Shubham Gupta is an award-winning Mobile Journalist. He is the Head of Storytelling at People Like Us Create. Shubham has produced more than 2000 stories and his stories have also been shared by publications like Hindustan Times and Al Jazeera. 

Mary Sebastian is a justice professional working for the elimination of violence against women and children with special focus on victims of sex trafficking in the State of Maharashtra. Mary briefly worked in the corporate law field before joining the development sector. She is currently working with a global anti-trafficking organization, International Justice Mission, where she assists law enforcement officials in the rescue of survivors of commercial sexual exploitation and provides legal representation through court proceedings. Mary supports systemic interventions and advocacy efforts on the survivor justice-related issues at the state government level and has organized a national level consultation on the arrest of demand for commercial sexual exploitation. She is currently undertaking a research study with the Maharashtra State Child Rights Protection Commission to analyse the functioning of childcare agencies under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, 2015 in six districts in Maharashtra. Mary also works towards generating awareness and sensitivity on the issue of trafficking perspectives through thought leadership initiatives.

Shantanu currently leads the Venture team at Ashoka Innovators for the Public, South Asia. Responsible for identifying and engaging the worlds largest and most powerful network of Social Entrepreneurs, Shantanu has worked with hundreds of innovators to enable powerful ideas to reach a systems-level change. Shantanu was previously an IDEX Global Social Enterprise Fellow, where he subsequently also a representative on their board of advisors. Prior to his time at Ashoka, Shantanu has worked extensively in the fields of youth mental health in Australia, youth civic participation and youth participation in diplomacy for national and international organisations, such as the Asia-Europe Foundation. Shantanu has a keen interest in reading, writing and the opportunity to engage with new groups of people.

Vishak G Iyer, a 2011-Batch IAS officer, is currently the Special Secretary to the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
Prior to this, he was the District Magistrate and Collector of Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh.

Hailing from Idukki, Kerala, Vishak has previously held the post of District Magistrate & Collector of Bhadohi, Hamirpur and Chief Development Officer of Meerut, and Varanasi.

An alumnus of MG University College of Engineering, Thodupuzha and a Chevening Fellow from Said Business School, University of Oxford, he has pursued B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering and MA in Public Policy.

Vishak was instrumental in reviving the river Mandakini with community participation, during his stint as District Magistrate Chitrakoot. Chitrakoot district received ‘National Water Awards-2019’ under the category ‘River rejuvenation’ for the effort.

अमन मॉडर्न स्कूल में कक्षा 11 के छात्र हैं। जलवायु कार्यकर्ता ग्रेटा थनबर्ग से प्रेरित होकर, 16 वर्षीय अमन शर्मा ने इसी साल मई में Change.org पर एक पेटीशन दायर करते हुए यह मांग उठाई कि भारत 2030 तक नेट ज़ीरो-कार्बन उत्सर्जन तक पहुंच जाए, 2020 तक सभी जीवाश्म-ईंधन के विस्तार को रोके तथा अनावश्यक शहरी परियोजनाओं के लिए वनों की कटाई को रोके।
अमन ने फ्राइडे फॉर फ्यूचर के दिल्ली चैप्टर द्वारा किए गए छात्र विरोध प्रदर्शन में भी बड़ी भूमिका निभाई है।

27 वर्षीय अभिनव अग्रवाल, एक एथ्नोम्यूज़िकोलॉजिस्ट (विभिन्न संस्कृतियों के संगीत के जानकार), संगीतकार और अपनी स्वयं सेवी संस्था अनहद फाउंडेशन के संस्थापक और निदेशक हैं।

अभिनव, भारत में घटते लोक संगीत को पुनर्जीवित करने की दिशा में काम कर रहे हैं। उन्होंने इस कला से जुड़े लोगों की आजीविका, गौरव और गरिमा पैदा करने वाले आत्मनिर्भर मॉडल बनाए हैं, ताकि लोक संगीतकारों के सम्मान,पहचान और आत्मविश्वास के निर्माण के माध्यम से सांस्कृतिक लोक संगीत के लिए मांग और मूल्य पैदा हो सकें।
वे समानांतर में एक आत्मनिर्भर और आर्थिक वातावरण बनाने में प्रयासरत हैं, जहां एक कलाकार बिना एक मध्यस्थ के सीधे अपनी प्रस्तुतियों को जनता तक पहुंचा सकता है।

ऐसा करने में, अभिनव एक लोक संगीत उद्योग बनाने में मदद कर रहे हैं जो कला का एक स्थायी रूप है और जिसका नेतृत्व खुद संगीतकारों के हाथों में है।
अभिनव एक अशोक फैलो भी हैं जिन्हें फोर्ब्स की एशियाई सूची के टॉप-30 में फीचर किया गया है। इन्हें करमवीर पुरस्कार से भी सम्मानित किया गया है।

श्री कैलाश सत्यार्थी अंतरराष्ट्रीय स्तर पर प्रतिष्ठित और सक्रिय बाल अधिकार कार्यकर्ता हैं, जो पिछले चार दशकों से बच्चों के अधिकारों के लिए अथक प्रयास कर रहे हैं। उनके कार्य और प्रयास पूरी दुनिया भर के 140 देशों में फैले हैं, जो बच्चों को गुलामी, तस्करी, बंधुआ मज़दूरी, यौन शोषण और हिंसा के सभी रूपों से बचाने के लिए प्रयासरत हैं। विश्व भर में फैले बाल शोषण के मुद्दे तथा बाल सुरक्षा, स्वास्थ और शिक्षा के अधिकारों को वे वैश्विक और राष्ट्रीय विकास के एजेंडा में शामिल करने में अहम भूमिका निभाते रहे हैं।

दुनिया भर में कई वंचित एवं शोषित बच्चों के अधिकारों को बहाल करने के उनके अविश्वसनीय प्रयासों को देखकर वर्ष 2014 में उन्हें नोबेल शांति पुरस्कार से सम्मानित किया गया था।

Samir Saran is the President of Observer Research Foundation (ORF), one of Asia’s most influential think tanks. Working with the Board, he provides strategic direction and leadership to ORF’s multiple centres on fund raising, research projects, platform design and outreach initiatives including stakeholder engagement.

He curates the Raisina Dialogue, India’s annual flagship platform on geopolitics and geo-economics, and chairs CyFy, India’s annual conference on cyber security and internet governance.

Samir is also a Commissioner of The Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace, member of the South Asia advisory board of the World Economic Forum, and a part of its Global Future Council on Cybersecurity. Along with that, he is the Director of the Centre for Peace and Security at the Sardar Patel Police University, Jodhpur, India.

Samir writes frequently on issues of global governance, climate change, energy policy, global development architecture, artificial intelligence, cyber security, internet governance, and India’s foreign policy. He has authored four books, several academic papers, and is featured regularly in Indian and international print and broadcast media.

Virali Modi is a disability rights activist, motivational speaker, and model who has spearheaded a campaign around accessibility – #MyTrainToo for accessible railways, which she started in 2017. Her petition on change.org has over 200k signatories.

She has been recognized by the BBC and was named as one of the most influential and inspirational women of 2017 by BBC 100 Women.

Virali was Miss Wheelchair India runner up 2014, has worked alongside Salman Khan for the Being Human Campaign, and has been the showstopper for Bombay Times Fashion Week, FBB, and Jewels Of India.

As a quintessential Bangalorean, the initial part of Vaidehi’s career involved paying her dues to the IT industry as a Software Engineer, both in India, and for a year, overseas. On returning from the United States, she waved farewell to her corporate job and took off to the mountains. She also volunteered as a teacher in an eco-school called SECMOL in Ladakh. Next stop, was Vietnam, where she volunteered yet again, as an English teacher in an NGO that rehabilitates tribals in the mountains of Sapa and also had a brief stint as a writer for ‘Humans Of Bombay’, and its sister page ‘We The People’. Wordplay has travelled with her throughout her journey, and she found that Twitter was a convenient medium to journal her thoughts and ideas. Vaidehi has over 5000 puns on her Twitter handle till date, and around 12.5K wordplay aficionados who follow her. It also landed her at her current job as the Social Media Content Lead at Dunzo – a hyperlocal delivery app.

Ritu Jaiswal contested and won the election for the position of Mukhiya from Gram Panchayat Raj Singwahini in 2016 by a huge margin. Since then, she has completely transformed the village by establishing education centres, building toilets to tackle open defecation, installing solar lights and building water capacity and building roads. She continues to work with the residents and runs awareness campaigns around menstrual health, biogas management and vocational training. Ms Jaiswal was conferred with the “Uchh Shikshit Adarsh Yuva Sarpanch (Mukhiya) Puraskaar 2016” at the 7th Bharatiya Chhatra Sansad by the Maharashtra Institute of Technology, and was among the 5 Mukhiyas selected to represent Bihar for the “Capacity Building Program for Sarpanch & Panchayat Secretaries” by The Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.

In March 2017, Ridhima filed a petition against the Government of India in the National Green Tribunal (NGT), asserting that the Indian government has failed to fulfil its duties towards the Indian people in mitigating climate change. In September, she joined Greta Thunberg at the Global Climate Strike in New York and also the International conference organized by Notre Affaire a Tous in Paris.

Along with fifteen teenagers from across the world, Ridhima has filed a complaint against five countries (Argentina, Turkey, Germany, France and Brazil) in the UN for not doing enough to address climate change.

Presently, she is spreading awareness in different cities of India to inspire others to protect the environment.

Aman is a class 11 student at Modern School, Vasant Vihar, N- Delhi. Inspired by his love for nature & the environment, 16-year-old Aman Sharma launched a petition on Change.org in May 2019 asking the government to declare a National climate emergency, which has reached 330,000 signatures now. It urges India to reach net zero-carbon emissions by 2030, stop all fossil-fuel expansion by 2020, stop deforestation for needless urban projects and provide its citizens the right to clean air and water.

Aman represented India at the first-ever youth and climate summit at Oslo Pax, Norway by the Nobel Peace Prize Center in September 2019 and his petition was later presented at the UN youth and climate summit in New York as a part of ‘All in for Climate Action’ campaign which has 1.6 million signatures and 90 countries as part of it. He is a part of and striker with Fridays for Future India and avid birdwatcher, conservationist and wildlife photographer.

Ashok Malik is the former Press Secretary for the President of India. He began his career in the Telegraph newspaper in Kolkata in 1991 and subsequently worked for many leading publications, including The Times of India, India Today and Indian Express. In 2006, he embarked on a career as a self-employed columnist, serving at different points as a consulting editor to the Pioneer and Tehelka. In 2015 he joined the Observer Research Foundation. He has been appointed to the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs, a think-tank focused on corporate social responsibility. He is a Member of the Rajghat Memorial Committee, which oversees the Memorial dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi. In 2016, he was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth-highest civilian honour.

Karnika Kohli is the audience editor at Scroll.in. She was previously with TheWire.in, where she led the social media desk, worked on campaigns to raise funding and was part of the team that organised events. Her main focus is on amplifying the reach of Scroll.in’s work and building an engaged audience by bringing data, insights and strategies to the newsroom. She has also worked with the Times of India and NewsX.

Neha Arora is the founder of Planet Abled, which provides accessible travel solutions and leisure excursions for people with various disabilities and the elderly. Planet Abled was awarded as one of the best innovative practices by Zero Project Conference at United Nations Vienna. Planet Abled has also been the recipient of India Responsible Tourism Award by Outlook Traveler and World Travel Market, London – Best Innovation in Travel & Overall Winner and NCPEDP – Mphasis Universal Design Award. This year, Planet Abled was also the recipient of the National Award for the most unique and innovative tourism product by the Ministry of Tourism Government of India.

Planet Abled has also represented India as a major accessible travel destination on global platform like ITB Berlin, Global Sustainable Tourism Council Conference in Thailand and International Congress on Tourism and Technology in Diversity in Malaga, Spain.

Neha is a Global Good Fund Fellow and India Inclusion fellow and a graduate of Nasdaq Entrepreneurial centre MMI program, for her work at Planet Abled. Neha also conducts sessions and workshops in corporates, universities, incubators and various forums for amalgamation of people with disabilities in mainstream via the medium of travel.

Mir is an officer of the 2011 batch of the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), serving in the state of Kerala.

He was posted as District Collector of Kannur in August 2016. As District Collector, he was the prime mover behind the transformation of Kannur into India’s first plastic/disposable-free district.

His most recent initiative is a timely project titled ‘Satyameva Jayate’ (Truth Alone Triumphs) that trains teachers and students to identify, vet and respond to misinformation and fake news online. The programme was implemented in over 200 schools in Kannur, covering over 80,000 children making it the first of its kind in the country. His work was widely covered by the national media in India and international networks in Britain, China & Japan.

Under his leadership, Kannur received five Kerala e-Governance Awards, including best e-Governed district from the Chief Minister of Kerala in January 2019.

He has led large projects that have singularly focused on creating value and convenience for citizens. The core driving force of his work has been efficiently bringing together stakeholders from the government, private sector and members of society, in the interest of achieving important social goals.

After a successful three year stint as Kannur Collector, he recently took charge as Director, Kerala State Suchitwa Mission that oversees the implementation of waste management schemes across the state

Malini has 15 years of experience across 3 industries – IT, media and travel. She is a voice-over artist and the Founder/CEO of F5 Escapes, an experiential travel company, with a vision to redefine the way women travel India. She is not only passionate about working towards and promoting India as a safe destination for women but also a firm believer in sustainable living and travel. She believes in the power of peer learning and hence loves motivating women returning to the workplace and early-stage entrepreneurs. 

Gulesh studied till ninth grade and was married off at 17. She was content being a homemaker until one day when in 2003 her husband was killed in an accident and it became absolutely necessary for her to become financially independent. She started with doing a few odd jobs like cooking at people’s houses, selling vegetables, frying pakoras at a roadside stall, etc., but it wasn’t sustainable. About 3-4 years ago, she started her journey as an Uber driver. Today, she is financially independent and supporting her son’s education.

Abhinav Agrawal, 27, an ethnomusicologist, musician and social entrepreneur is also the Founder Director of the Non-Profit Organisation, Anahad Foundation. Abhinav is working towards creating and reviving the diminishing folk music industry in India by creating self-reliant models that generate livelihoods, pride and dignity for stakeholders connected to this art form.

He is generating demand and value for cultural folk music through building respect, recognition, identity and self-confidence of folk musicians, and in parallel creating a self-sustainable economic environment where an artist can distribute their productions directly to the public without an intermediary. In doing so, Abhinav is helping create a Folk Music industry that is a sustainable art form and an industry that is musician-led.

Abhinav is also an Ashoka Fellow, and has been featured under Forbes 30 under 30 Asia list. He has also been awarded with the Karamveer Award.

Anshul is a social entrepreneur and a young media influencer, who founded Youth Ki Awaaz (YKA), India’s
largest social justice media platform for young people to address and engage on critical issues, at the age of
17.

Over the last 11 years, Anshul has gained extensive experience in citizen-powered media, and participatory movement building, with YKA stories often starting nationwide movements creating impact.

An Ashoka Fellow, INK Fellow and Young Innovator (United Nations ITU), Forbes 30 Under 30, Anshul has helped several high-impact organisations engage young people in a variety of important conversations, from politics and gender to art and culture.

He is also on the Civil Society Advisory Group of UN Women for India and has previously served on the board of Jhatkaa, a campaigning organisation committed to building grassroots citizen power across India, and Collectively, a World Economic Forum and Unilever collaborative non-profit to build a sustainable future.

Basit Jamal is facilitating young people to understand the concepts of conflict resolution. He is repurposing the power of religion to be a solution rather than a roadblock to conflicts which has already seen millions die the world over. He works with students from schools, colleges, madrasas and worshippers in the mosques. He also promotes interfaith dialogue to better understand the other. Basit Jamal is the founder of “Brotherhood of humanity”. He was given Ashoka Fellowship in 2017. He was a co-author of UNESCO’s youth waging peace manual. He was also given membership of the worlds biggest interfaith organization “United Religions Initiative”.

Ashish Birulee is an activist, independent journalist, content creator for Adivasi Lives Matter and power user on Youth Ki Awaaz. He belongs to the Ho Adivasi community and is from Jadugoda in Jharkhand. As a photojournalist has has worked to disclose damages caused by the uranium mines located just 500 meter from his home in Jadugoda. His work on the impact of radiation in Jadugoda has been featured at the 3rd and 9th International Uranium Film Festival in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 2013 and 2019, as well as the World Uranium Symposium in Quebec City, Canada 2015, Hiroshima 2015 and Osaka 2017.

Apar Gupta is a lawyer and the Executive Director of the Internet Freedom Foundation – an Indian digital liberties organisation that seeks to ensure that technology respects fundamental rights.
Since 2015, he has been working extensively on public interest issues which include strategic litigation and organisation of campaigns and collectives. In courts, his work as a lawyer includes key digital rights cases on privacy and censorship.
He is a part of key constitutional challenges on Section 66A, the Right to Privacy and Aadhaar representing public interest litigants. Beyond court work he has worked extensively with activists and set up digital campaigns such as those on Net Neutrality (SaveTheInternet.in), fight against defamation laws (SpeechBill.in) and safeguard privacy (SaveOurPrivacy.in). Apar is committed to protect the constitution and fight a digital dystopia.

Mr. Kailash Satyarthi is an internationally acclaimed child rights activist who has been a tireless advocate of children’s rights for four decades now.

His interventions are spread across over 140 countries in the world in an endeavour to protect children from slavery, trafficking, forced labour, sexual abuse and all forms of violence. He has been instrumental in bringing the issues of children in the global and national development agendas besides leading worldwide movements against child exploitation and upholding the rights of children for peace, safety, health, wellbeing and education.

His unrelenting efforts for restoring the rights of the most marginalized and exploited children in the world won him the Nobel Peace Prize in the year 2014.