This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sakshi Priya. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I’m Sick Of The Pseudo-Feminists In My College

More from Sakshi Priya

Studying in one of the most reputed college in India gave me many opportunities to meet different people with different backgrounds. The only thing common among all of us was education. It is a dream for so many students to get into this reputed college, and only a few get the chance. I respect all the students working hard to get into their dream college. But is it only education which makes you a better individual? Can we call ourselves human if we don’t possess any qualities of humanity. Coming directly to the point, one last question: Are we really progressing towards a better society?

Maybe some would have a very positive response to this question and I appreciate them for being so optimistic but I have critical views on the question and I don’t consider myself pessimistic for it.

Rosie the Riveter. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

I came across a lot of people who seemed to be fighting for equal rights and would label themselves as feminist but would not pause for a minute before calling another girl “characterless” because she does not comply with their set ideologies. And, these are the people, the hypocrites, who really pose a threat to the society.

They will be the first to call your shorts too short, or say that 10 PM is too late for hostel in-time, or that your idea of freedom is too much. For them drinking a bottle of alcohol is a concern because it comes under their immoral tag because only characterless people can take a sip of beer. If someone molests you, don’t be surprised if these people blame you, your clothes, or tell you that the more skin you show the more vulnerable you are to these kind of threats. Some may even tell you to adopt some ‘girly’ mannerisms to be safe, because that is the way world functions. And definitely don’t be surprised if you hear them making jokes about and laughing at people who are different from them!

And, what do you expect from the rest of the student body, when these educated self-proclaimed ‘feminist’ hypocrites are everywhere? Yes, they will be the first ones to tell you what is moral and what is immoral. You may even be laughed at if you tend to support LGBTQ rights. And, believe me, these hypocrites play it really well. Some of them will be seen discussing the existence of inequalities in every sphere, but mostly those who thunder don’t pour. Yeah! Some of them may even as you if you visit a temple when you are bleeding because, “It’s religion dude. We can’t question every belief“. Sorry, I can and will question your politics!

To these people who make me wonder about the harsh reality of modern, educated youth, I know you have your degree, you have your grades, but where is your humanity,where is the respect you need to have for others. They will make you choke with their negative attitudes. They will try to change you. They will question your basics, they will make you feel low.

But again, there are people, who are not like them. If you wish to make a change, do not let yourself be surrounded by such hypocrites. There are people who think like you. There are people who respect you. Seek respect, not acceptance. Find your kind of people. Fight silently but effectively. Maybe your little efforts could make the world a bit more happier.

Do not conform to the patterns of the world! Be yourself! Be fearless.

It is also okay to be alone than to be surrounded by hypocrites.

I’d like to leave you with the last three lines of one of my favorite poems, “Breaking Out” by Marge Piercy:

This is not a tale of innocence lost but power
gained: I would not be Sisyphus,
there were things that I should learn to break.”

1. RAJSHREE RATHOUR

Nice thought ….we really needs to break the chains the society has tied us to…A harsh reality is that now education is only a formal day to day activity…which is just required to get a better living that too which is believed to be achieved by making money…no morals no respect for others ….it’s just about the entire world running into a depth of the jealousy and criticism for others …and pulling each other’s legs…

2. Christina Tirkey

❤❤❤

3. ShambhaviGm

Awesome ?

More from Sakshi Priya

By Prabhanu Kumar Das

By malvika