DU Releases 5th Cut-Off For UG Admissions, 6000 Seats Still Waiting To Be Filled

As of now, today is the last day of the merit-based Delhi University bachelor’s admissions for the academic year 2018-19. The fifth cut-off list was released earlier on Wednesday with around 6000 seats still vacant. Even though most of the top colleges had already closed admissions in general category after the admissions based on the fourth cut-off list were over, there has been some hope left for students from other categories and those aspiring to join Ramjas College, which is still open to admit students from the general category in BA Hons English, BA Hons History, BA Hons Economics, and B.Com.

Although the varsity had earlier planned to only release five cut-off lists this year and conduct a centralised counselling to fill the remaining seats after that, a sixth and final cut-off list might be released after taking a stock of the number of seats still left vacant. Colleges might also release individual ‘vacant seats lists’ to fill any remaining seats on their respective campuses.

The largest number of admissions before the fifth cut-off list was released had taken place for BA Programme with 8,612 seats being filled out of the total 10,172 seats. In BCom, there had been 5,137 admissions against a total of 6,483 seats. B.Com (Hons) has a total of 6,273 seats and 5,085 admissions had been done, as reported by Hindustan Times.

This year students and parents in general have hailed a hassle-free admission process in Delhi University. Apart from the servers slowing down during the admission process followed by the release of the first cut-off list, the admissions have passed largely without any incident. This has in part been attributed to comparatively realistic cut-off percentages this time around.

On the other hand, today is also the second and the last day for document verification and approval of admission for students selected in Delhi University Joint Admission Tests (JAT) which were held on June 22, 2018. The first admission list of JAT was released on July 12 on Delhi University’s official website. These exams were conducted fully online and will admit students in (BMS/BBA (FIA)/BBE) and BA (Hons) Humanities and Social Sciences courses.

The other much sought-after faculty of DU, the Faculty of Law, had also decided to conduct exams online from the current academic session. These exams were conducted on June 18, 2018, at various examination centres, most of which are privately-owned. As soon as the results were announced on the official DU site on June 11, a lot of candidates alleged that they had received less than expected marks and many more claimed that their names did not appear in the results at all. Following these allegations of irregularities, the results were withdrawn from the website.

_

Image source: Sanchit Khanna/Hindustan Times via Getty Images