This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Divya agarwal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Am An Indian Woman And I Am Not Happy About This Infamous Achievement

More from Divya agarwal

With galloping developments and reforms, we wish to top the charts as the most powerful country in the world. Also maybe, aspire to become the most versatile, multicultural or the friendliest country in the world. But is it actually happening? Are we even reaching anywhere near it? I don’t know and cannot comment on the financial or the economic front. While we have come a really long way since independence, we have unfortunately achieved the top position in being the most dangerous country in the world for women.

Recently, a Thompson Reuters survey ranked India as the most dangerous country for women. I have no doubts about this survey, looking at the recent happenings in the country which threaten women’s safety in a jiffy. I have a habit of reading newspapers and every day there is news about atrocities being inflicted on women. Reports of rape are the most common and most reported.

I love my country. I am not very patriotic but when it comes to my motherland, no one would dare to unnecessarily speak against it in front of me. But after this report, as an Indian and as a woman, I am scared and ashamed. I am scared to live in this country and I am ashamed that I am a citizen of such a dangerous nation.

I think India has always been a little vulnerable and a little unsafe. But it was after the Nirbhaya case, that the reality of women’s safety surfaced on a national level. It was after that horrific night of 16 December in 2012 that I really realized I need to be afraid every time I venture out of my house.

Whether it is in trains, or in a marketplace, in the night or in the day, the fear never leaves my subconscious mind. I always doubt whether I’d reach home safely at the end of every day. I think twice before stepping out when it’s dark, I cannot trust strangers and every person showing even a brief interest in me seems like a prospective perpetrator ready to take his chance. I am not overly paranoid but I am not carefree either.

The world has always been unsafe and unfair towards women. I have read plenty of books which give me a sense of women’s safety in Asian countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. They are deprived of basic rights and have to struggle for their safety in their daily lives. At these moments, I felt lucky to be part of a safe country like India. But this survey in which India outranks all these countries has startled me. Being the most dangerous country for women is not something we can be proud of.

I won’t say that nothing can be done to amend it, it is surely possible, but only if someone wants it to be amended. By someone I mean the authorities: the judiciary and the police. I feel that, any rape case unless focused by the media goes unnoticed and any woman who is not strong enough to stand for herself dies a million deaths every day after she is attacked.

If we wish to be the last on this list, we should be the first to take action against anyone who has proved to be a danger for women. India is a land where women are worshipped as goddesses, it should not be a country where young girls are afraid to be born.

We are responsible for this infamous achievement and it’s our duty to remove this dark stain from our image.

1. sunny

Perception polls are not real studies. They can be impacted by different factors such as political views of “experts” surveyed, how media reports about some issue in one particular nation, media

coverage impact perception, , global knowledge of “experts”, can they even tell name of 193 UN members”, bias against or in favour of one particular country etc.

Thomson reyters perception poll said India is worst country for women. Some months back another suvey said India have highest level of gender equality in world. It was done by IPSOS.23

countries were included According to that, 72 percent of people surveyed in India says India have gender equality, and 68 percent women also said India have gender equality.India have highest

gender equality according to perception poll of IPSOS.

I have included the article about the poll written by The Guardian.Article mentions perception wise India have highest gender equality but perception does not match reality as according to gender

inequality index which is based on data and not perception,India was worst among 23 countries surveyed.

Gender inequality index rank India worst out of 23 countries included in IPSOS, but overall India is not ranked worst but ranked 125 out of 188 countries. gender inequality index is part of human

development report. Human development report have 188 countries but Data of gender equality is avilable only for 159 countries , Yemen is ranked worst at 159.

But if perception polls or surveys are considered, India is both worst and best country according to different polls.
    PS- I am not saying India is safe for women. Topic is not that. Topic is India is most unsafe and I have problem with that.

Guardian article about IPSOS perception poll-
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jan/29/women-inequality-survey

Gender inequality index. India is nowhere near the worst.Ranked 125 out of 159 countries
    http://hdr.undp.org/en/composite/GII

Worst countries for women according to World economic form global gender gap report 2016.Adding some articles about that study and its more reliabe than perception polls because it gives data

about different issues and parameters related to women.Yemen was ranked worst in that

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/mapped-the-best-and-worst-countries-for-gender-equality/

https://www.journalducameroun.com/en/world-economic-forum-maps-worst-countries-gender-equality/

http://ceoworld.biz/2018/03/09/these-are-the-worlds-20-worst-countries-for-women-in-2017/

Worst countries for women according to Women, security, peace index

http://www.thisisinsider.com/worst-countries-for-women-2018-3

Different studies give different results. But media in India is showing a lot about poll that said India is most dangerous but rarely talks studies that did not put India nowhere near the worst.So most

people are not aware of those studies, even though they are more reliable in my opinion because they are not based on view some people but gives data about different parameters.Its wrong to say India is most dangerous only because one

survey said, there are many that did not said India is worst.

More from Divya agarwal

By Anmona Handique

By Jagisha Arora

By Nishtha Gupta