This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by SHEROES. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Worked For 3 Years, Discovered My True Passion And Now I’m Back To School!

More from SHEROES

By Prashita Chag:

I was always a jolly child, never a studious one. An average student in my school, I had no clue what I wanted to become.

I always wondered what life had in store for me

After completing school, I immediately appeared for CPT (Common Proficiency Test) since it was a trend at the time. Like many other students, I also attempted to do CA (Chartered Accountancy) without thinking. I had heard from my seniors that clearing CA was all about luck and less about effort. This amused me and also pushed me.

I cleared CPT in a single attempt and applied for the next level – IPCC (Integrated Professional Competency Course). Although I wasn’t willing to study for IPCC, I thought – what’s the harm in trying?

Over time, I finally had the epic realization – Accounts was never my cup of tea!

Studies can often be boring for naughty kids like me, so I joined dance classes to refresh myself. It was the one thing I enjoyed doing. I could feel my inner self and do anything without fear of judgement. I eagerly awaited my dance classes every week. Those few hours were my favourite.

Finding Myself

At the age of 20, I got the opportunity to work with SangVi Dance Centre in Kolkata where I also learned dance. As a studio manager, I got to interact with new people and learned many new things like managing people and how to keep things organized.

That’s me with my favourites – Vineeta ma’am and Sangeeta ma’am

My speaking skills improved and my confidence levels increased too. I enjoyed my work thoroughly and why wouldn’t I? My mentors-cum-bosses, Sangeeta Ma’am and Vineeta Ma’am were extremely friendly. What super-cool personalities they had!

Feeling the itch to do more, I started teaching in a playschool/nursery during the first half of the day. It was so much fun and my time flew.

It was here I realised that teaching gave me a lot of satisfaction.

One of the main things that attracted me towards teaching was that it helped me understand what others were thinking, especially the kids.

I remember one of them coming to me with a butterfly finger ring. She said, “It’s a gift from a fairy so that I can fly in my dreams.” It tickled my imagination too. Their innocence and cheerful company gave wings to my dreams.

I had finally found my vocation and decided to take up the Primary Teachers’ Training Course.

Three years of work gave me the chance to discover my passion and now I’m ready to go back to school and train for my true career calling – teaching.

On a break from work now, I’m waiting for my vocational course to start. During this time, following my passion for writing, I started my own Facebook page and an Instagram handle @merrily.messy, where I publish poems regularly.

Seeing my love for poetry, my cousin suggested – why not get on the SHEROES app? That’s how I landed up on this beautiful platform for women.

Through SHEROES, I connect with a wide range of women and get to know their thoughts, stories, and lifestyles.

I first joined the Aspiring Writers community, being a self-proclaimed writer, but gradually found myself engaging with almost all the communities – picking up different learnings, covering every aspect of life – from health and relationships to cooking and art.

Exploring my interests, and in turn, myself, helped me find my true path.

To me, teaching and learning are beyond boring textbooks.

My advice to anyone who is confused in their career is – you’ve got to pave your own way – don’t stop exploring and discovering yourself.

About Prashita Chag:

@merrily.messy because I choose to be happy despite the mess of life. Learning the art of loving the mess.

SHEROES Communities for women are accessible via Sheroes.com and the SHEROES app

More from SHEROES

By Room to Read

By Shreya

By Mrittunjoy Guha Majumdar