This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Jairam R Prabhu. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

It’s Time We Stop Discriminating Against Arts Courses

More from Jairam R Prabhu

India has one of the largest numbers of Engineering graduates in the world. We also have the largest number of unskilled and unemployed youth population in the world. Want to know why? Since childhood, our parents inject the dose of pursuing either engineering or medicine in our minds. Then we begin our life like robots from Class 6 in the Name of IIT Foundation course and what not.

Just like most places, even the Indian society is allergic to arts and humanities courses. When we see a arts students, the first thing that comes to our mind is:

• Why not science?
  • Didn’t you get admission for Engineering or CA?
  • Didn’t you score 90% or above in class 12?
  • What is in this course? Language? Anyone can learn it.
  • This course won’t give you a place or land you a job.
  • How do you think you are going to run your family with such a meagre salary?
  • Didn’t your teachers or parents give you any career advice?
  • Such a simple course is not enough; you need a professional degree.

These are very common questions faced by art students when they meet their relatives or friends. I am an Engineering student in Kochi, Kerala. Like other parents, mine believed that engineering or a professional degree is the best career option. For them, a job/placement is ready for you after you graduate from university, making it the ideal option.

So basically, I am also a victim of traditional thinking. Currently, I am just doing my BTech for getting a degree and possibly will go for a PG. The final plan is to appear for Civil Services. The Btech thing is just a backup when I could have taken a humanities subject as my degree, and things would have been much easier.

Image result for ba courses

Why take Humanities?

It’s not just about having a career option, but choosing what you want to learn through a course. As the name suggests, in the humanities you learn about humans, their lives and choices, how do they adapt, and develop to changing times. Unlike, what you learn in science and engineering about non-living aspects like physical phenomenon, environment, the universe and even technology; humanities explores multiple facets about Human beings.

Our society not only needs people to look at the technical aspects of things but also look at cultures across the world and how they shape our experiences. There is nothing wrong with choosing arts and taking it forward as your life’s calling.

1. You can learn about your favourite language whether its, English, Hindi, a regional language, Sanskrit, Arabic or even foreign languages like German, French and Chinese.
  2. Learn about Sociology, the subject that deals study of human development and society.
  3. Economics where you are trained to know everything about trade, growth, money, prosperity and progress.
  4. History, Political Science, Geography, Psychology and lot more
  5. Arts and humanities form the best options for Civil Services, Govt Jobs, teaching and training jobs.
  6. Later on, you can even do a masters in the same, then PhD and pursue a career as a researcher, analyst or a professor.
  7. If you like management, entrepreneurship etc., you can even do an MBA and begin a start-up.
  8. On studying Literature, you can join in a course for Journalism or Content writing where you can work with the news agencies or newspapers.
  9. New Courses like Integrated Masters in International Relations is taught in many universities.
  10. Arts students have the best creative and communication skills which they develop along with course

See, the career options are plenty, you don’t need to be a doctor or an engineer to have a happy and settled life. There is so much to learn and experience.

Image result for arts courses

What about people who are doing a professional course but are interested in Arts?

After Class 12, even if you are pursuing science stream, doors are always open for you to look at any other course. Delhi University stands out as the best in India to pursue Bachelors in Arts and Science courses.

People who are studying engineering or science still have the doors open for taking up a Masters in Arts and later on M-Phil or PhD. Online certificate courses are available as well.

Myths about Arts Courses. 

1. No Campus Placements– Even many engineers do not get placed after Btech, but few universities give campus placements to BA/BSc students.
  2. High Fees– Fees depends on your university; Govt colleges are usually less expensive.
  3. No value for degrees– Social science teachers work in big schools and colleges, and most Govt and civil services jobs are done by Arts graduates. BA courses in India are recognised all over the world, where you can even go for higher studies.
  4. No Six Digit income– The issue is the same with all courses, higher your seniority, higher is your pay.

Like any other courses, arts and humanities do have their shortcomings. Finally, everything depends on your ability to learn and nurture your interests. If you think you are interested in Technical Education, go for it, but if you are not interested, there is no point in continuing because either you can’t excel in the field or you might drop out soon.

It’s better if you make up your mind by Class 12 as to what degree you want to pursue. And even after that, everyone does deserve a second chance in their life.

And dear parents, don’t dictate your kid’s choices. Support them and allow them to follow their interests and passions. After all, it’s their passion, not yours.

To The Government and Respective College Authorities

1. Make sure we have good infrastructure in colleges for all fields, not only at IIT and AIIMS.
  2. Try to bolster campus recruitment and ask the students to choose prospering fields.
  3. Give soft skills training to students from technical backgrounds.
  4. Don’t encourage the comparison of arts and science students.
  5. Give grants to underprivileged students to help them with what they want to learn.
  6. Give students a second chance, i.e. the option to opt out of a course at least after the first year to the field of their choice. A UGC amendment could help with the same.

A final word for all the students, it’s your life and your future. Take the decision you want to and forge ahead in life.

More from Jairam R Prabhu

By Oasis Movement

By Four Route