This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Pranjal Pratim Dihingia. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Mob Justice and Social media

More from Pranjal Pratim Dihingia

The news of mob lynching across different states of the country is often making their way to the headlines of newspapers. The number of such incidents has increased drastically in the recent times. Every now and then there are news about the lynching of men by cow vigilantes or villagers doubting travellers as child abductors. According to the data provided by the website ‘India Spend’,from the year 2010 to 2017 around 28 people were killed in 63 such incidents, and the number will increase if this year’s incidents are counted. The major concern about these increasing number of incidences is that many innocent lives are lost in the name of mob justice and the people involved in such crimes easily escapes since there is no any formal law to deal with such crimes .Hence without any deterence to fear for, people are willfully involving themselves into such crimes.

Understanding the psychology of the mob committing such crimes:

Mob lynching in the name of mob justice is never acceptable. Lack of emotional intelligence can be considered as the prime reason why people are committing such  crimes. People who commit such crimes lacks selfawarness and awareness about others choices and habits. People irrespective of their ages and mental state are indiscriminately targeted since the people involved fail to recognise their emotions and passions and distinguishing  the right course of action.

Role of social media in such incidences:

Although social media has been a boon to many positive changes, yet its cons eclipses its better side. Social media, for those who are poorly educated is the new age superstition better to say as Digital superstition. Biased opinions, no filtering of information flow, poor decisions ,fake news circulation are all the negative traits of social media. Infact social media has turned democracy into mobocracy . Cheap smartphones with handy and cheaper data packages are making millions of indians vulnerable to fake news. A single message regulated in whatsapp regarding child abductors is responsible for many deaths in the recent days. People believing to everything circulated in the social media is a major cause of concern.

What possible steps can be taken to curb such incidents:

Need of an antilynching law:

The Indian penal code has no any provisions having mention the word lynching. A firm legislation is needed to criminalise mob killings so that a deterence will be there refraining people from committing such crimes. A single legislation will not be enough unless the people have a good emotional intelligence. The government with all its stakeholders shall try their best to educate the people and here the positive side of social media can be used. To curb the evils of social media, the social media big giants operating in our country should keep a check on all the fake news generated and filter the harmful contents.

Way forward:

Mob justice for social justice in a peaceful manner is always welcomed.There are ample of good examples in the history where mob justice in a peaceful manner was fruitful. Our freedom fighters were the best exanples. On the global front incidents like storming of Bastile in French revolution which was mob action against state gave the world the ideal of liberty,equality and fraternity which even finds place in our preamble.

More from Pranjal Pratim Dihingia

By Anusha S

By Ronit Shakya

By prmoteabhi