The Children Of Nomadic Tribes And Migrant Labourers Need A Special Education Model

Illiteracy is very high in children of nomadic tribes (NT), denotified tribes (DNT) and migrant labourers. Since they’re constantly struggling for basic requirements, they tend to show little concern about educating their children. Also, due to continuous migration, they are bound to change their schools. In most cases, lack of essential certificates (like a birth certificate) leads to denial in admission.

Girls’ education is commonly neglected in the NT-DNT communities. Even today, children from these communities face stigma and discrimination in schools. Government and NGOs have been trying to solve this problem by opening boarding schools, mobile schools and through Open and Distance Learning (ODL). But due to frequent migration, it has become impossible to have a continuum in their education, even if it is made available.

There is a need of providing them a facility of completing their academic year in segments and maintenance of their academic records and certificates digitally.

Segmental Model of Education

To address this issue, an Aadhaar-based digital education card can be provided to the children of NT, DNT and migrant labours by the HRD Ministry. Digital cards will be helpful in maintaining their academic record and certificates in a digital format. A facility should be provided to them to change their school, time to time, in an academic year that can help them complete their academic year in segments. They will have to just submit their education card to the school they are taking admission in.

It should be the responsibility of the schools to maintain the record of their attendance, covered syllabus, exam results and certificates through the education card. It will help the children to continue their education from where they left in the previous school. They should be able to give exams in the school they have taken admission during the exam period. As the education card is linked with Aadhaar card number, students will be able to get a new education card from any school in case they lose it.

This programme can provide a convenient way for the children of NT, DNT and migrant labourers to continue their education.