By Switching Streams, I Finally Realised My True Calling

I was born and brought up in a small town in Uttar Pradesh. I did my schooling from a convent school, and, just like most people, I also believed that learning science earns respect. I wanted to become a doctor and without even giving it a thought, I chose Physics, Chemistry and Biology in class XI.  Later, during my mid-semester exams, I realised that being a doctor was not my dream, it was an attempt to impress society. Somehow, I managed to secure good marks in my board exams, but I was not happy. I wanted something else but didn’t know what.

In 2015, I enrolled in a Literature (Honours) course. It did make me feel good, but I was still falling short where passion was concerned. I was doing well in my academics—classes on post-colonial literature and Dalit literature were especially amazing. I decided to write.

I started writing essays but I had no clue what to do with my writings. I am not a fiction person. I do like to read the genre but find it very difficult to weave words and combine them into an interesting story. It was during my last semester that I became aware of my real passion. I wanted to write on social issues, so I decided to study journalism. But there was very little time before the entrance exam—two months was all I had. I gave my best shot and worked hard but couldn’t clear the interview. It was heartbreaking as it took me 21 years to figure out what my true passion was. I was extremely sad and disappointed and didn’t know what to do next. I wanted it so bad but I had lost it. I stood blank for days and then finally I realised that life is not easy. If you get everything you want then you might be on the wrong track.

I have decided that I will work hard the whole year to clear all my entrance exams, I will write as much as I can and improve my writing skills. My biggest failure taught me the greatest lesson of my life. So here I am, writing my first post on Youth Ki Awaaz and hoping to learn more and more from life.