Twitter Comes Down Heavily On Woman Who Asked Airtel For A ‘Hindu Representative’

Telecom giant Airtel faced a storm on social media last month when they allegedly bowed down to bigotry. A Twitter user @pooja303singh, tweeted to Airtel asking for a different customer care representative when a Muslim executive responded to her query.

The next response she received was from a customer care operative named Gaganjot. It appeared that Airtel had given in to Singh’s bigoted demand.

Many Twitter users, including public figures, called Airtel out over this incident.

Some Twitter users even got aggressive and started abusing and threatening Singh.

We should condemn Singh’s bigoted tweets, but that doesn’t give anyone permission to abuse her relentlessly. After his initial tweet, Omar Abdullah tweeted again to request people to not resort to abuse in such an incident since it would not solve anything.

Airtel eventually clarified through a press release that the change in representative was not a deliberate move to appease a bigoted request but simply a matter of two representatives working a shift and one not being available at the time.

We can’t expect everyone to be sensitive and inclusive but that doesn’t mean we can abuse anyone for holding certain views and then expect them to change immediately. After Airtel’s clarification, I feel we should leave Pooja Singh alone.