This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Global Step. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Story of Justicia: What Women Want In Their Video Games

More from Global Step

This International Women’s Day, we at GlobalStep wanted to do more than just wish the wonderful ladies working at our organisation. We wanted to go one step further and ask them to wear their creative hats and give us their perspective on characters in video games. With women making up close to half of the gaming population and with some of the top gaming studios being led by women, we felt it was about time!

We circulated a questionnaire with some basic character-related questions to GlobalStep’s women employees across our global offices and the passion with which they responded surprised even us! Through their answers was born ‘Justicia. This is the story of what we asked them, what they answered and how Justicia was created.

What would be your character’s weapon of choice?

If you thought that our woman character would need a big weapon to help her and showcase her strength, you couldn’t have been more wrong! Bare hands are enough for Justicia to show her adversaries what she’s made of!

“If you fight with bare hands you will know how strong and capable you are!”

“I would prefer to use myself as a weapon, both in mind, and physical strength.”

“She doesn’t need weapons to be a strong and successful woman.”

If your character had a superpower, what would it be?

Sorry, Superman, the ability to fly didn’t find much love from the women at GlobalStep! They chose a superpower that they could use not only in fighting crimes but also help them jet set across the world – the ability to teleport! Because, why restrict yourself?

“I would like to have the ability to instantly be anywhere, anytime, in  any part of the world I’d like!”

“Ability to teleport, then she can go anywhere and fight crime easily!”

What is your character’s strongest characteristic?

Smartness and quick thinking beat physical strength, speed, and agility. The women of GlobalStep felt that a smart woman is able to think quickly on her feet. She can change anything in the world and manipulate any situation to her advantage!

“She would have the ability to think fast, move fast and to stay two steps ahead!”

“Being smart is much better than being physically strong!”

“With smartness, she can just use her inherent qualities to achieve whatever she wants!”

The Story of Justicia: #MadeByWomen at GlobalStep

What colour outfit would your character wear?

If you thought Justicia was going to be dominated by pink, it’s time to break through the stereotypes. Every option they chose had a sense of logic and representation behind it, that really gives character to Justicia. We went with a bold red that symbolizes her strength and aggression, with just a royal touch of gold to show her royalty and grace!

Gold seems like a special colour by its beauty and value, it also implies being powerful and determined.”

“Red, because it symbolises her strength and aggression.”

What is your character’s main motivation?

Unlike most video game characters that are a part of a heist, assassination squad or motivated by personal vengeance and loss, Justicia chooses to fight for the right things in life! By fighting against injustice and lawlessness, she aims to make the world a better place for everyone in it!

“I would like to make the world a better place. That seems like the least I could do if I were a superhuman.”

“She is fighting for the right things in life.”

We hear you, the women of GlobalStep! And we hope Justicia lives up to your expectations! She could have also had had some other interesting names – such as Crimson, Untitled Ranger, Kaileena and more! But we went with the one that was closest to her one motivation – of bringing justice to everyone!

A huge thanks to all the women at GlobalStep for responding to the survey! Justicia is a character that has a part of each of you, and represents what you stand for in a lot of ways!

More from Global Step

By shweta srivastava

By Zemima Khan

By Akanksha kapil