14 Lessons To Make You Feel Empowered

Learning and empowerment; belief and positivity; determination and perseverance are not lessons limited to a management student or a depressed being but to every human who rekindles his/ her vision to move out of the daily rut and strives to feel as well as live freely.

Through my session today at one of the TEDx conferences, as a youth, I have understood some basic yet 14 such transformational lessons from speakers who belonged to completely different fields. Yet, they had some of the most relatable suggestions, practices and stories from their own lives, that thoroughly described their journey from pain to passion and to power. Hence, achieving their respective roads to success; their visualized dreams that turned into a reality.

These should surely work for every youth, and for anyone who has a dream and wishes to empower herself as well as the world around:

Vipul Ujjwal, IAS Officer of 2009 batch of Punjab Cadre

• Question yourself. Introspect within, as often as you can and ponder on what you presently assume as your wings to success, are they really so or are they just dead weights over you?
  • Move out of your comfort zone, move out of the room without all your luxuries in life. That’s where the first step towards hard work starts; when you give up on the comforts of life and but not on your dreams.
  • If you get a trigger that something is not right, change the direction rather than dumping yourself more and more into the dark phase of intentional failure.
  • Once you realise you have gained a certain amount of success in life, do not let that stage be your stagnation point. Keep moving and keep peddling. The building of success has infinite floors. Like they say, the sky is the limit and nowadays not even that!
  • Do not preserve the light within you. Be the lighthouse for the universe. Educate, enlighten and empower others. That shall be your real success in life.

Preeti Mann, Social Anthropologist

• If you are stuck and genuinely want a solution, try to look into the core of the matter and come up with the most sustainable solution; the one that focuses on livelihood, health care and education.
  • Forever keep striving to remind yourself that anybody or a somebody was one day a nobody. If today you are that nobody, keep moving ahead, one step after another and soon you would be somebody for the rest of the world.

Sonal Sehgal, Indian Actress

• The only difference between a successful and an unsuccessful person is the lack of opportunity. If you realise you are not getting one then create one for yourself.
  • Believe in yourself and do not let anyone else define or judge whether a particular idea that you have is good or bad. It is you who makes the best or the worst decision for yourself.

Chetan Mahajan, Founder and Coach, Himalayan Writing Retreat

• Let the infinite failures make you a better person. Let the fears change you into the bravest of hearts. When you see yourself in adversity, don’t get bogged down but take it as a beginning to the next positive phase towards your success or passion in life.
  • Do not wait for your work to first get converted into the perfect version you dream of and then share with the outside world. Be a simple and an original version of you and the world will love you for it. The ‘not so good’ work in your eyes might be a record breaker for the rest.

Mohit Dubey, CEO, Board Member, Carwale

Love stories are equivalent to startups. Don’t doubt yourself from taking the first step or else the opportunity shall be lost; your prospect soul mate might reach into someone else’s hands. So, trust your instinct and just go for it.

Subir Malik, Founder, Organist and Manager for the legendary rock band Parikrama

Manage your time in a way that you gives you a couple of seconds to think through a problem and solve it, rather than complaining and cribbing about it. Troubles, hurdles and problems are a part of life. It depends on how you handle them.

Susan Vernon, Teacher, American Embassy School

Every episode of despair and further an acceptance of the failure should give you a bigger push to move on and do better in life. It must urge you to convert the failure into a great success and not the other way.

Put in your comments below if these learnings tickle you to know about these speaker’s hardship stories and I shall be more than glad to share those with you. They are definitely worth knowing.