This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akshara Bharat. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

My Only Dream For The Future Is To Live Life On My Own Terms

More from Akshara Bharat

It is said that the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Growing up in a remote village of Arunachal Pradesh with an occasional access to modern comforts like electricity and internet, all I did was dream in the laps of nature. I was fortunate enough to be born into a family where women hold the power. My granny was a strong independent working woman at the time when purdah system was still pervasive. My mother is a bold, confident and opinionated person who always instilled in me the strength and courage to dream. Yes, that is correct, one needs to have the courage to dream, especially when prevailing societal norms consider your dreams to be unconventional.

Unlike my fellow mates, especially girls, I never dreamt of having a well-settled life. I have always despised the ways of our society which celebrate,“graduation at 22, a job at 24, shaadi at 26 bacche before 30″. Eyebrows are raised when someone doesn’t seem to fit in. Growing up everyone used to call me stubborn and weird. As a regular child and a teenager that did affect my confidence because I never really realised why I was always the odd one out. At times, I did try to fit in and compromise, but sadly I went into a depression that affected my emotional and physical health.

It’s only recently that I realised that the reason I was made to feel this way by the people around me was because of my dream. I have always wanted to live life on my own terms. Now that sounds like a cliche, right? As hackneyed as it may sound but it is a herculean task to turn this dream into a reality without inviting some criticism. The moment I was mature and aware enough to realise the intricacies of our societal setup and the ever-evolving gender norms we as human beings are supposed to follow, I promised myself I am not going to give in.

I have dreamt of a future where I can carve my own niche as an independent, self-made successful woman, and presently I am striving hard to turn that dream into a reality. Like any other woman in her mid-twenties, I am also under constant scrutiny. I have always been a restless and impatient soul. I always knew that I wanted to achieve something huge, but I wasn’t very clear as to how. I have made my fair share of bad choices, and I have no regrets. I believe everything happens for a reason and in the end, it leaves you more experienced and mature. I never dreamt of becoming so and so; I imagine living my life king size while dealing with failures, setbacks, and challenges. I dream of becoming a person who can bring happiness into the lives of the distressed and downtrodden. I dream of becoming a woman that little girls can look up to. I dream of being a trendsetter and a fighter against this blatant patriarchy and stereotypes plaguing our society. I dream of becoming a bold and opinionated woman whose voice matters and has the ability to change many lives. When I envision my future, I see myself as a doting daughter, a partner shouldering equal responsibilities in a marriage, a strong mother that her children can look up to and overall a strong-minded, powerful woman.

I have started enjoying the struggles and challenges that life throws at me as I have this strong faith that these hardships are nothing but universe trying to make my dreams come true. I hustle harder each day, I fall again and again, I fail and face rejections, but I never let these things deject my spirit. I believe in turning my tears into the sweat, thus building a strong foundation for the kind of life I am aspiring towards. I dream of a future which has the ability to bring happiness into the lives of those around me.

More from Akshara Bharat

By It's Ok To Talk

By Vandana Jogadiya

By Nitin Gulati