Need Of Substitute Graduation Programme For The Students Expelled From Technical Courses

One of the reasons for the expulsion of undergraduate students from technical institutes is the poor academic performance. Students scoring less than 5.5 CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) for the semester are get expelled from IITs. In some universities, there is a time limit of completion of a four-year engineering course within eight years; otherwise, students get expelled. Some universities give NFTE (Not Fit for Technical Education) remark to the students repeatedly failing in a semester in one or more subjects.

Expelled students lack enthusiasm towards education and face severe depression. The dropout rate of retained students is increasing, day by day, in India. Students expelled from the institute due to poor academic performance should be given opportunities to continue their education through substitute education programme.

A safe and supportive learning environment can be provided to the expelled students through substitute education programme, as a continuum of education, to the original technical course. Substitute education programme will be helpful to give expelled students the opportunity to go ahead with the knowledge they have earned during their academics.

Substitute Graduation Courses:

Students expelled from technical courses due to poor academic performance or repeatedly failure shall be provided substitute graduation course by the same institute. (Technical Education covers programmes in engineering, technology, management, architecture, pharmacy, town planning, applied arts & crafts, hotel management and catering technology)

Duration of the substitute graduation course shall be half of the period of the original graduation course. For example, the substitute graduation course for four-year B. Tech course will be of two years. Substitute graduation course shall be based on the syllabus of the original technical course. Separate lectures shall be conducted, and the lectures should be practical and skill development oriented. No academic exams shall be undertaken for substitute graduation courses, but 80% attendance should be made mandatory for the students.

Students shall be given a certificate of substitute graduation course once they complete it. The certificate shall also carry the names of subjects the student had passed during the original graduation course before expulsion.

Students who have not got expelled from the technical course but repeatedly failing in one or more subjects will also be eligible to apply for the substitute graduation course, at any stage/semester of their graduation course, in the same institute.

The students of substitute graduation courses will attain practical, and skill development oriented training with academic knowledge and will be awarded substitute graduation certificate. This will enable them to apply for campus/off-campus interviews or to start their own business or startup.