This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nagrik Foundation. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Are We Doing Enough To Improve The Abysmal Sex Ratio In India?

More from Nagrik Foundation

The term ‘sex ratio’ is getting a lot of attention again, and it is not uncalled for. The sex ratio has been at a devastating level even in the 21st century. The number of females per thousand males is the sex ratio and has to say a lot about what’s going in the society.

The analysis of sex ratio in different states brought to light a shocking truth and showed just how precarious the situation is, and will be if we don’t pay attention.

According to the 2011 census, the sex ratio in India is 939 women per 1000 men, and it has beeen estimated that the numbers will plummet further to 898 per 1000 males by 2031. The major decline was seen in the age group of 0-6 years, and Haryana had the lowest count.

What is the major reason for this decline?

• The heinous act of female foeticide where the girl child is aborted in a foetal stage is one of the primary causes for the decline in sex ratio. It is said that the male child is preferred over the female child as he could go on to become a breadwinner for the family.
  • Large sums of money or property, or both, is supposed to be given by the brides’ parents to the grooms’ family in the dowry system. It is to avoid this social transaction and burden that it has been seen that a male child is preferred over a female child.
  • Our culture, history and societal norms contribute in a significant manner to the unequal nature of the sex ratio.
  • The common belief is that a son can take care of the parents’ need when they’re old. They do not expect the same responsibility to be fulfilled by a daughter.
  •  The gender determination of the unborn child gave the perfect outlet for the parents to kill their girl child before her birth.
  • The mother is pressurized by the other family members to abort or kill her daughter.
  • Gender determination tests and pressurizing the mother to abort her child if it’s a girl has also been a notorious practice.

These systematic practices have all resulted in the drastically unequal sex ratio in India.

The Indian government has taken some major steps to curtail the decline of sex ratio.

Launched in 2015, the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign started by Prime Minister Narendra Modi aimed to spread awareness on saving the girl child and providing them an equal education. This initiative was driven to stop the discrimination against the female child and the rising cases of female foeticides. The campaign was started in Panipat, Haryana where the sex ratio was 879 girls to 1000 boys.

Several sting operations and raids have been conducted in hospitals, dispensaries and ultrasound centres to nab doctors, staff or lab technicians who were involved in this crime.

Spreading awareness through mass media by government agencies in events or rural areas has resulted in bringing the sex ratio to optimal levels.

The Indian patriarchal system supports the existence of the male child over the female child even though both sexes have the same rights once born on the Indian territory. With time, education and persistent effort the social stigma or beliefs can be overcome to create a safe and secure environment to welcome the girl child.

_

Image source: Elton Lin/Flickr

More from Nagrik Foundation

By Abhishek Chaudhary