This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Raman Kaur. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why I Consider Vincent Van Gogh As My Insipiration

More from Raman Kaur

I was one of those little kids who was humbled by art. From my childhood itself, I adored two things: one is the beauty of art, and another is the beauty of honesty, which my dad taught me. I always combined them, I have drawn several scenarios in my mind till now. I am afraid of drawing my imagination wrong, so I recreate some easy works, which makes much more sense to me.

So now I am a graduate, I have this wonderful friend with whom I shared my imaginations and desire for art. He introduced me to Vincent Van Gogh. When I read about this artist, I was a little confused. But then I saw his artwork. His work includes the famous Starry Night, Wheatfields, Cafe Terrace, Sunflowers, Almond Tree and many more paintings. I took my time to instil their beauty within me. Later, I researched him some more. I read about him and saw a wonderful movie named Loving Vincent, which helped me understand his art better. I still adore his art every day.

What makes him my inspiration?

He was a shy human being whose childhood affected him the most. Somehow my story is the same, I was a shy child, and some things happened to me during my childhood, which made me rebellious and furious. But despite his sufferings, Vincent never harmed anyone. He had never thought of hurting anybody by his gestures or words. He loved without judging; he would ponder about whatever humbled him, that’s what I find common in him and me. I miss him, yes I miss him. I wish I could be his friend. I would have never let him feel alone. I would have painted with him and took good care of him.

He was also a good reader; he read a lot before picking up a brush. He picked up his first brush when he was 28. He was fond of books like some people are fond of different kinds of food. He would breathe and intake emotions; he was a lovely human being who would never harm anyone. He may fight with you for his opinion, but he would never hurt you. This gentleman was only understood by his brother Theo and his wife. His death makes me sad, but his paintings moved me greatly. It was like I found someone who felt like I did. He was a good human being and a great artist that everybody should know about.

Being an emotional person is not bad at all. His quality of work matches with the Indian Pioneer Satyajit Ray, who tried to showcase misery of the poor, the joy of regular life and taught us to feel lively in the present. His work, the Potato Eaters will move you to feel the misery. The Almond Tree would teach you to love the trees, flowers, and sky. Wheat Fields will make you understand how a present emotion is a wonderful thing that has happened to you. Starry Nights would teach you to adore nights around you; be it a busy or calm night.

His works consist of a lot of teachings because he felt a lot. One day, I will also draw without the fear of screwing up. I have started believing in myself. I hope you all find your inspiration and do what you really want to do. As John Keating once said- “Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.”

Carpe Diem, guys.

1. Almond Blossom

2. Potato Eaters

3. Cafe Terrace

1. Gulraj Bedi

I couldn’t agree more. Van Gogh has always been criticised for being too pessimistic, but those who admire him would know that there was a hidden sense of optimism in all of his paintings.

More from Raman Kaur

By Zemima Khan

By Hrishikesh Sharma

By Mohan Singh