This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ak. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Do We Really Need To Bother With ‘Log Kya Kahenge’?

What is LKK?

LKK also known as ‘Log Kya Kahenge’ is a phrase when translated into English means ‘What will people say?’.

Let me tell you what it is exactly. It’s not a problem, nor a syndrome in reality, but an imaginary thought or fear in our minds influenced by the society’s judgements. LKK syndrome has killed more dreams than anything else in this world!”What will people say?” (Log kya kahenge) has stopped many people from pursuing their dreams.

Who are these ‘log’?

They are people from society who have nothing better to do with their lives and hence have opinions about everyone and about everything whether it’s good or bad. You shouldn’t let these ‘log’ affect you. Moreover, their opinion shouldn’t matter to you because it only will restrict you from doing what you want and you will not be able to succeed in life. Maybe you will, but you will not be happy or pleased with your success.

So, why are we being affected by their opinions?

When people have ideals or opinions that are different from the majority they are afraid of being shunned by their peers. We think others’ opinion matter more and give value to their opinions. It doesn’t matter what people say about you. The only thing that matters is you and your well-being. Many dreams have been killed because of this problem. But when we overthink about how other people will react then, this becomes a serious problem.

• I want to have a love marriage, but log kya kahenge?
  • I am a girl, and I want to play football, but log kya kahenge?
  • I want to drop out of school and pursue my dream of becoming a YouTuber, but log kya kahenge?

Created by Ak

Do you think you are affected by the LKK syndrome?

How is it affecting the younger generation?

• The youth are afraid to step out of the comfort zone or pursue their dreams just because of these ‘log’.
  • They are afraid of being judged by others.
  • The youth feel refrained from progressing in their lives.
  • This can also lead to depression and an increase in suicidal tendencies among the youth.

How can we solve this?

1. Now the solution is very simple; firstly you should stop judging people yourself. If you have any difficulty in coping, ask for advice from someone whom you trust and respect.
  2. In schools, they should provide information about this and build the self-confidence of the students so we can cut off this belief at the earliest stage possible.
  3. Teach yourself to accept that what they think isn’t your reality.
  4. By confronting your fears, you help others confront theirs.
  5. Be a little selfish. There’s nothing wrong with it.
  6. Imagine the worst case scenario.
  7. Think how long you are going to live. According to statistics released by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the life expectancy of an average Indian female is 69 years and for an average Indian male is 72. Now, count how many years you are left with. Do you want to spend the remaining time of your life wondering what others are thinking about you or enjoying your life to the fullest?

The Ultimate Cure

We should get rid of this syndrome from the root. And what is the root? YOU. It is really none of your business. I don’t mean to be rude or anything, but it really isn’t. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But that doesn’t mean that their opinion should be taken seriously

If we teach ourselves not to get affected by what others think, we will cease to feel bogged down by their judgements. If we do somehow manage to block out what people say, we should teach or help others achieve the same. That is how we truly get rid of this syndrome. Unless they’re your parents, they only want what’s good for you. To an extent, of course.

More from Ak

By Abhishek Chaudhary