Youth In Central Kashmir Donate Blood Instead Of Self-Flagellation During Muharram

Youth Forum of village Dab, in central Kashmir Ganderbal, in association with SKIMS, organised a voluntary blood donation camp during Moharrum, to ‘subtly’ discourage the new generation from using knives and chains while flagellating for the martyrs of Karbala. Instead of self-flagellation, which has tainted the image of Islam among non-Muslims, people of Dab Ganderbal donated their blood as a religious vow, during the mourning days of Muharram.
The social activist and prolific writer, Syed Karar Hashmi said, “We appreciate the change in youth. The supreme leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatollah Khamenei, has clearly outlined that self-flagellation is haram or banned in Islam. Not only it isn’t an act of mourning, but it also spoils the image of mourning. Khamnaie also stresses that all followers of Islam should obey the order, and avoid such moves that harm the Ahlul Bayt’s school of thought.” 
President Auqaf Syed Nazir Rizvi said that such moves could help improve the negative image of Shiites’ mourning rituals, which are sometimes depicted by western media through the images of self-flagellation. Our youth is ready to organise more such moves ahead – for the cause of humanity. Youth volunteers from different areas of Ganderbal and donors of the District participated in the day-long blood donation camp. Blood donation camp was established in Imam Bargah Sadat. 50 points of blood were donated in the presence of Additional Deputy Commissioner, Ganderbal SHO, Shadipora, and Auquaf President, Syed Nazir Rizvi.