This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by somesh mane. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

It’s Important To Understand What Aadhaar Card Means For You

More from somesh mane

Ever since its introduction in January 2009, Aadhaar card has emerged as one of the most frequently discussed topics in the country. The primetime slots of News channels were devoted to every development around Aadhaar card. Experts discussed it on news debate shows, newspapers carried front-page coverage, and editors penned their opinions about this initiative. With new developments and rules being implemented regarding linking Aadhaar card to various services, the scenario is still the same.

Several rumours and misinformation have been floating around, misleading the common man about the significance and usage of the Aadhaar card, online application, the verification procedure, and tracking the card status. This article will try to give a clear picture about the primary features, benefits, and application process for Aadhaar card.

Understanding Aadhaar Card

Aadhaar card comprises of a dynamic 12-digit unique identification number that is allotted to every resident of India. It acts as a proof of identity and residence. Contrary to the popular misconception, it is not a proof of citizenship. Aadhaar card is unique to every individual and cannot be replicated because it’s based on your demographic and biometric data. Residents of India, as well as non-resident Indians (NRIs), are eligible to apply for Aadhaar card.

Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), registered under the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), has been authorised by the government to undertake the application of Aadhaar card. While the government has already implemented the Aadhaar card linking process for certain services like bank accounts, mobile phone services, etc., it is taking definite measures to make the linking process compulsory for some other services like LPG subsidy, driving license, demat account, etc.

Your Aadhaar card will include the following details:

• Name
  • Gender
  • Address
  • Date of Birth, and
  • The 12-digit unique number allotted to you

The Government of India offers both online and offline application of Aadhaar card to ensure flexibility and convenience to every Indian resident. For the online application of Aadhaar card, you have to visit the official website of UIDAI. For offline Aadhaar card application, you have to visit any authorised bank or post office or enrolment centre. Aadhaar card enrolment centres are strategically located across India to ensure easy accessibility to every India resident.

Online Aadhaar Card Application Process

If you prefer the online option of applying for your Aadhaar, here is the process that you need to follow. After your application process is complete, you can monitor the status of your Aadhaar card through the UIDAI’s website.

• Download the Aadhaar Enrolment/Correction Form from UIDAI’s official website. Take a printout of this form.
    Fill up the form with accurate details, ensuring that there is no incorrect information, or suppression or misrepresentation of details.
  • Visit any authorised bank or post office or enrolment centre, as per your convenience, along with the original and photocopies of Proof of Identity (POI), Proof of Address (POA) and age. You can easily locate your nearest Aadhar card application centres from UIDAI’s portal by mentioning details like your state or pin code or city.
  • Submit the photocopies of the documents mentioned above along with the Aadhaar card application form for Aadhaar card verification.
  • Provide your biometric and iris scan, along with your photograph that will be taken on-the-spot as a part of the Aadhaar card verification process.
  • You will receive an acknowledgement receipt from UIDAI, which will mention, date, time and enrolment number with which you can track your Aadhaar card status.

Offline Aadhaar Card Application Process

Follow these steps to apply for your Aadhaar card and track Aadhaar card status until you receive it.

• Visit any authorised bank or post office or enrolment centre, as per your preference, along with the original and photocopies of Proof of Identity (POI), Proof of Address (POA) and age. You can easily locate your nearest Aadhar card application centres from UIDAI’s portal by mentioning details like your State or Pin Code or City.
  • Visit the authorised centre for the Aadhaar Enrolment/Correction Form.
  • Fill up the form with accurate details, ensuring that there is no incorrect information, or suppression or misrepresentation of information.
  • Submit it along with photocopies of proofs of Proof of Identity (POI), Proof of Address (POA) and age for Aadhaar card verification.
  • Provide your biometric and iris scan, along with your photograph that will be taken on-the-spot as a part of the Aadhaar card verification procedure.
  • You will receive an acknowledgement receipt from UIDAI, which will mention the date, time and enrolment number, with which you can track your Aadhaar card status.

Why Aadhaar Card?

The following are some of the benefits you will be able to avail if you have an Aadhaar card.

Simplifies passport registration process

Aadhar card comes in handy while applying for a passport. It saves you the hassle of providing separate identity and residence proof and helps you get the passport in just ten days. This is because the police verification is done later. This is contrary to the traditional procedure in which this verification is undertaken before you get your passport. Besides, according to the new government rules, Aadhaar card is a mandatory document during the passport application process.

Prevents Voter Card frauds

Making Aadhaar card compulsory for application of Voter IDs has eliminated the scope for duplicate voter cards. Once an Aadhaar number is linked, it would become impossible for an individual to apply for multiple voter IDs. Registering for a voter ID card requires an individual to be physically present while furnishing their Aadhaar card, thus, curbing illegal practices.

Makes opening of bank accounts and PF accounts seamless

While opening bank accounts and PF accounts, you do not have to present multiple documents. All you need is your Aadhaar card. Apart from streamlining the application processes and saving on valuable time, it prevents fraudulent practices which are otherwise on the rise. What’s more, the Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has also introduced the online application process, enabling you to open a PF account seamlessly, provided you have your Aadhaar card.

Streamlines the process of filing for IT return

The linking of PAN card with Aadhaar card simplifies the process of filing IT returns. Through the use of Aadhaar card, being a recognised document for your residence and identity, you can save yourself from the burden of showing multiple documents and their photocopies.

Offers LPG Subsidy

Linking your Aadhaar card number now makes you eligible for the Direct Benefit Transfer of LPG Subsidy (DBTL) scheme, called PAHAL. This benefit makes you eligible for receiving the LPG subsidy amount in the bank account directly if you have linked your Aadhar card number and LPG consumer number.

1. Priyanshu Yadav

Thanks for sharing this useful information with us, keep sharing.
    udyog aadhar

More from somesh mane

By Simran Mendon

By Zakir Ali Tyagi