This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Raman Kaur. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Happy Teachers’ Day To The Greatest Teacher, Mr John Keating

More from Raman Kaur

Dead Poets Society, is one of the best classic movies that I have ever seen. This movie should be on everybody’s must-watch list because it will teach you various things about life. One of them is- the true essence of the relationship between a teacher and a student. It is not something unique; it is something real which is rare in our society nowadays. Well, let’s start with the introduction of the greatest teacher.

Who Was Mr John Keating?

Back in 1989, the movie named “Dead Poets Society” was released which had this compelling and intriguing character. He was an English teacher at a well-renowned school in the U.S. His greatness was not only in teaching lessons but also imparting the real lessons about life. He introduced his students to the greatness of life; he asked them to feel their surroundings because they were all just focusing on performing well in academics alone. He didn’t misguide any of his students; he asked them to live and feel but also encouraged them to study well. Mr Keating didn’t teach his students for the sake of completing the syllabus; he actually took the responsibility to acquaint them with the reality, be it academics or life.

In his very first class, he introduced his students to the “poetry” of their surroundings and the reality of life. He asked all the boys to call him either Mr Keating or if they were slightly “daring”, then by the title of one of the Walt Whitman’s poetry: “O Captain, My Captain”. It is weird to accept such stuff in the beginning but if you try to catch the real essence of it, trust me you will love these little facts about the movie.

This teacher allowed his students to be free thinkers. He was not only noble, but he was witty and a realist. He would only thrash his students with his words, but those words helped them to learn from their mistakes and encouraged them to improve in the end. He would tell them it is okay to be silly, but you can always improve.

Some of his teachings are:
1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

Just the way not all of us like classics, there were some of Keating’s students who didn’t like his class and one of them was Mr Hopkins. He never paid attention and tried to ridicule this English class taken by Mr Keating. But Keating tolerated his behaviour and taught him a sweet lesson by waiting for the right moment (I do not want to be a spoiler if you have not watched this movie yet). All in all, he taught us many things about life such as: beliefs are unique, acceptance will make you a better person, and that simplicity can be extraordinary.

What are the other things which we can learn from this movie?

In this movie, friendship is portrayed without any judgments. There are many characters from whom you can learn a lot. There is too much talk about learning in this article… Well, life is all about learning and improving so don’t mind and go ahead and read! This movie is the perfect mixture of good script and great acting. Most of you can relate to this movie and many of you could even start loving poetry! Trust me these two hours of watching the film will be the best time of your life.

Carpe Diem, guys!

1. snehashish roy

He was always considered as a good comedian but was praised for all the sensible choice of movies he made and for his great acting. This article really opened up to the world how a movie should be seen, how to pick up the good messages from a worthy movie like ‘Dead Poets Society’. – Carpe-Diem

More from Raman Kaur

By Ananya Anand

By Inchara Kakaraparthi

By Ananya Anand