Lesser Known Things That Are Illegal In India

There has been an increase in the discourse of several human rights laws such as the right to freedom of expression, freedom of sexual orientation, section 377 etc. in the recent years. While this is a beacon of hope for positive change in society, it is also important to be aware of some things that are illegal in our country before you find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

1. Flying a kite without a permit

The Indian Aircraft Act of 1934 states, that you require a permit or need to hold a license to fly a plane. You also need a similar permit to be able to fly a kite legally. It is a must to remember during the festival of Uttarayan!

2. Public Display Of Affection

Under Section 294 of IPA public displays of affection could land you in jail for up to three months, if it is seen as an annoyance to the public and a complaint is raised.

3. Sex Determination

We would like to think we’re past the days when the girl child was considered a burden, but unfortunately, there are still some parts of the country that are carrying on with this horrendous practice. There have been laws since 1994 that are against sex determination.

4. Begging

Under the Bombay Begging Prevention Act, 1959 begging is considered a crime. The law has also been adopted by Delhi. With the alarming rate of increase in begging mafias who also covertly undertake human trafficking, this law requires stricter implementation and nationwide adoption.

5. Food adulteration

Rice is adulterated with stones, milk with urea, and mustard oil with crude rice bran oil. Even turmeric powder is adulterated with ‘metanil yellow’ which are produced with ingredients that are cancerous. Even packaged ‘mineral’ bottled water is sold without an ISI or BIS authentication despite the Food Adulteration Prevention Act, 1954.

Even some of the most reputed colleges for law in the country don’t place enough emphasis on these lesser-known but extremely important laws.