We Need To Empower Women To Make Informed Choices While Accessing Abortion

Women in India, always get trapped into societal norms, family obligations and responsibilities to the extent that they hardly give any importance to themselves and their health. It’s still a matter of concern even after so many years of independence. Why don’t women have the right to make choices about their own bodies? Why do they have to undergo things they don’t wish to? Is it necessary for women to obey people and do things even if they are unwilling? My answer to these questions is – no, you really don’t have to do anything against your will. If you are not ready for something that’s absolutely fine – you can say no to it. It’s your body, so it’s your choice. Love yourself.

Among all the things, one thing which is a matter of great concern is the issue of abortion. The word abortion is a taboo in our society. Yes, it’s a big deal. Abortion was legalised in our country in the year 1971, by the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act – which stated that pregnancies up to 20 weeks can be terminated with the permission of two medical practitioners, and abortion could be done if there is any risk involved in the birth of the child or if there’s is a danger to the pregnant woman’s life.

According to the latest amendment of the MTP Act in 2014, a pregnancy can be terminated up to 24 weeks provided it fulfils certain conditions. Now, permission of one medical practitioner is sufficient to have an abortion. But it’s still not an easy process, as a woman will be subjected to judgements from the society and it’s not only about having pills and aborting. Taking abortion pills is very risky, and it could be dangerous for the woman if she bleeds more than what’s normal in such cases. The whole process is excruciating.

Unfortunately, in our society, women are subjected to this process forcibly without knowing how it affects the woman. It’s not only adversely affecting her physically, but it also takes a toll on her mental health. I am not from a medical background so I may not be able to explain it as efficiently as a medical professional. But, I have read and heard many times that the whole process of taking abortion pills is intensely painful – to the point that a woman feels weak and pale, she is unable to get out of the bed for days, and the cramps she suffers are more severe than the normal cramps that a woman goes through during periods. People are not aware of the whole process of abortion so, before suggesting or forcing anyone for abortion, kindly go through all the details related to the process, so that women make a more informed choice.

Every woman has the right to say #MybodyMyChoice. I urge all the women across the globe to access abortion if you wish to at any point in time. But, please kindly go through the details of the process thoroughly first, because it’s your health and only you can safeguard it. You can refuse to get an abortion if anyone is forcing you to do so – because it’s entirely your choice. If you wish to have a child, it’s your choice. If you lead an independent and stable life then, why do you want to fall prey to societal norms? We must all stand for ourselves and proudly say it’s #MybodyMychoice.