How Satyamev Jayate Changed It All For Indian TV Audiences

Nowadays, people are associating with social service work at will. Some go through a medium such as an NGO, and some make personal visits to places, to conduct their social service. Among the general public, many think that promoting education, educating girls, saving girl children, uplifting women, providing electricity in backward states, and improving sanitation in India are the only forms of social work. But, unacknowledged by many of us, there are many other issues. We are left in the dark about these, or they are topics most people shy away from.

Satyamev Jayate is an eye-opener show in the Indian television industry, which shone a light on many such social issues. Before Satyamev Jayate was launched on Indian televisions, people were unaware that medical negligence or medical malpractice is a big issue which needs to be looked after. If we check the records, we will find many cases of medical negligence pending in our courts, awaiting judgement. Acid attacks are also among these issues which, which have now decreased after acid attack survivors put forward their voice in front of the court to appeal for a strong law against the crime.

Today, men, as well as women, are no longer ashamed of talking about sanitation and periods, and the risk of diseases if these issues are not given proper attention.

Satyamev Jayate has also collaborated with many NGOs and is working to bring out many other unknown and covered up social causes and work towards its improvement.

Rape cases have also been brought to light, for Indian audiences. Rules and regulations are now being made stronger. People are becoming careful. Martial arts are taught to girls. If safety was to be promoted on a large scale, then Satyamev Jayate was a spoon to serve hot food!

In an interview with Reuters, Amir Khan, the legend, the anchor of Satyamev Jayate, said, “When we were setting out, we had no idea. This was something which had never been done. People who knew what I was doing used to tell me ‘Amir, you don’t know television. People only want entertainment. A show about social issues is not going to work. People are not going to connect with it.’ But, I felt differently. I just did what I felt like doing, basically. It indicates that people are ready for change. India is ready for change.”

People are now taking bold steps on all kinds of issues, without fear or endangerment. Indian systems are improving, the rules and regulations to major as well as minor issues are becoming stricter and powerful.

More women are no longer afraid of fighting against injustice, or to go to court, or even ‘go against’ Indian society, and its stereotype-ridden thoughts.

Men are changing, sanding in support of women, standing in support of their families, and respecting the thoughts of all people equally.

India is not a backward country like before. It has become open to development. The mentality of Indian society is thus changing and becoming more broad-minded.

Satyamev Jayate has been the essential soil to sow such change, and I take a moment to salute the show, its anchor Amir Khan, the channel Star Plus, and all the people associated with this show in a big or small role. I would like to thank them all for taking the step to reach out to the masses and bring about a change in Indian society’s thoughts and actions.