This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ritwick Hota. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Aren’t We All Responsible For Encouraging AIB’s Sexist Humour?

More from Ritwick Hota

I’d like to start by letting you know that I’m not in support of the comedians who have been accused of sexism and misogyny. But I’d like to point out that these are posts from 5-6 years back.

The one with Rohan’s aids comment is a joke. Clearly, we all sit in the comfort of convenience, and clap and make such jokes viral, which is why they become trends. (“yo mom” jokes for example).

We have to know what’s serious and what’s not. Comedy sketches in the country, when edgy, become famous and go viral because they resonate with how most people think.

However, these jokes don’t necessarily indicate the thought process of these comedians. Jokes are not always one’s personal and moral beliefs. Jokes are not a symbol of one’s ideals.

Yes, Tanmay Bhatt is wrong in giving an opportunity to Utsav Chakraborty, in spite of knowing that there were sexual allegations against him. However, it’s not right to pick up posts he randomly tweeted few years ago, because clearly he’s making an adult humour, and it deserves discretion. Our discretion.

This is my opinion and I’m open to other views as well.

More from Ritwick Hota

By Chaitali Kamble

By CRY- Child Rights and You

By Binti Period