When A Woman Shares Her MeToo Story Don’t Question, Just Listen

The current #MeToo wave has garnered a lot of voices and attention. But for the most part – media and news publishers are ready to jump the gun for views and attention.

On the one hand, you have a girl who needs a platform to share her story, and on the other hand, people are waiting for some juicy material to ruin people’s lives. It seems like a game for many people, which has also curbed the space for a healthy #metoo debate.

Here are some pointers for you to use #MeToo responsibly:

1. This movement is an idea to share your story – so that others find the courage to do the same and not suffer in silence like you did in the past.
  2. When you name someone without evidence, people will question you – so be prepared for that to happen.
  3. Understand what sexual harassment/assault entails before blaming a person, as there have been cases where this powerful movement has been reduced to mere mud-slinging.
  4. As a witness to this powerful movement, one must not come to conclusions and throw dirt on accusers or the accused.
  5. The idea is to listen to the story of a woman – you don’t have to agree or disagree – just hear them out.
  6. Remember that every discussion has to be civil – else, there is no point. So, don’t go on to harass the people named by victims; your only job is to extend support to these women.
  7. Overall the goal is to create awareness, an environment which is safe for women to speak up and leave the rest to the concerned authorities responsible for taking relevant action.
  8. Do not blame people who knew and didn’t do anything. Remember that the victim didn’t do anything earlier because of the power dynamics and the other person did the same because they too were powerless.
  9. And lastly, welcome everyone to share their #metoo stories by ensuring that they get a safer and more inclusive space.