Women have been fighting for equality at work and in the society, but they have to suffer from this patriarchy in their own home.
A woman in her 20s is mature, independent and sensible. She needs advice, not a strict list of do’s and don’ts. She wants your trust and a right to let her be. She knows about her career, marriage, safety and friends – and most of the times, your ‘advice’ acts as a bullet.
Here are 14 things an Indian woman in her 20s has to still hear from her family and the society:
1. Finally, you got a job, it’s time we should release our burden by marrying you off.
2. Till you live in my house, you’ll have to follow my rules. Do all this stuff when you get married.
3. Have you ever thought about what you want to do with your career? Are you serious or not?
4. You haven’t learnt how to cook? You are definitely going to let us down in front of your husband and in-laws.
5. It’s already 9 PM. When you are coming back home?
6. Can’t you that elders are talking? You shouldn’t speak in between? Haven’t we taught you this?
7. What are you wearing? This isn’t decent, go put on something that is sober.
8. Who is that boy you were talking to? Is he your boyfriend?
9. How much money do you waste on shopping? I don’t earn just to let you waste it unnecessarily.
10. Beta, tumhe jaldi ghar ana chahiye na. Achhe ghar ki ladkiyo ke ye sanskaar nahi hote ki wo late ghar aaye.
11. You are always stuck to your mobile phone. Why don’t you go and help your mom in the kitchen instead?
12. Why do want to go for a private job? They’ll unnecessarily stop you after usual working hours also.
13. What are you doing on your phone? Show it to me.
14. Girls of your age shouldn’t have so many male friends. It’s bad.