Indian Cinema Requires More Satyajit Rays: Majidi

Our films are nice owing to the content of songs mixed with dancing. Perhaps it is for this very apt reason that we draw towards Hindi films. So we gladly admit that we are not immune to Bollywood movies. We remain beguiled into dreaming of bright and breezy film stories.

There is no paucity of cine-goers who look at Bollywood films neither as a feat nor a as failure. They tend to look at these films like settling on a different line with an indigenous standard on the whole.

Iranian filmmaker Majid Majidi believes that Bollywood films mostly catered to box-office collections, unlike Iranian cinema, which genuinely deals with relevant social subjects and harsh realities. In a way, he appreciates Satyajit Ray and discards Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

It could be another way round too. How can it be denied that filmmakers only impart social message through their movies and care little about the market for business? What Iran’s famous film personality needs to say is that the new generation of the filmmakers in India require right kind of support for bringing out good cinema.

On the difference between India cinema and Iranian cinema, he very categorically pointed out that Bollywood films are all about box-office collections, which is important from the commercial side. He did not fail to mention that social subjects and interesting stories were in plenty in India.

Marking the difference in Iranian films, he maintained that Iranian cinema was based on realities, real locations, social subjects, and human values.

CONTEST ALERT!

Have a period experience that really stood out for you? Share your story in 150 words or more and get featured on our homepage!

Participate now!