After Sacred Games And Gangs Of Wasseypur, Mirzapur’s The New Mafia Obsession

After the tales of Gangs of Wasseypur I & II and Sacred Games, people are neck deep in the new series, Mirzapur, which is yet another crime thriller. Underworld and gangsters based web series and movies have found a special place in the heart of Indians. Shootout at Lokhandwala, Shootout at Wadala, Kill Dil, Agneepath, D-Day, Once upon a time in Mumbai and its sequel, Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Dobara (again) are all box office blockbusters.

There was a time when mafias were framed in a 3-hour movie but now it is the era of web series and Indian web series have come a long way, thus “Sacred Games” and “Mirzapur” have become an essential pass time for Indians. It all started with Game of Thrones when people began developing interests for web series. Underworld and gangster stories in India have always been a fancy for everyone because of the aggressive nature of the characters.

Likewise, Mirzapur has recently hit to the list of “Amazon Prime Videos” and people are going nuts about it. “I have watched all the episodes and did that in just one night. It is really interesting and the performances and dialogues blew me away. I have always been a big fan of foreign TV series but underworld series like Sacred Games and Mirzapur are what I crave for”, says Anik Sinha, an engineering student.

Moreover, the craze for such violent web series increases further when there are restrictions laid on them by the censor board. But because in a web series there exist no barriers, abusive language is used all throughout. The presence of abusive language makes these web series much more realistic (despite being fictional in nature). These web series are so fast paced that the viewer does not want to even blink.

The madness for underworld or gang rivalry stories has always existed (in every part of the world) and it’s primarily because of that, Gangs of Wasseypur 1 was a hit and people could not wait for the second part to release.

The fact here is, the movies always possess non-fictional stories and web series do the opposite, but the craving for such web series never ends, especially among the youth because of the relatable nature of the characters of the series who are “aggressive” and “intense”.