Do you know that 71% of the earth is covered with water? Of course, there is a lot of water here to survive and to waste. But are you aware that 97% of the total water available is salt water and is not suitable for drinking? And out of the remaining 3%, only 1% is available for use, rest is locked in glaciers. This is alarming! Whether the coming generations will be able to even get fresh water for drinking.
All daily chores require water, but if done prudently, we can end up saving a lot of water.
An effective technique called Water Efficient Toilets came into existence.
In 1995, The National Energy Policy Act made it compulsory that all new toilets had to be low flow toilets using no more than 1.6 gallons per flush which were less than half the water used by toilets in the 1980s. Initially, the results were dissatisfactory but then came the pressure-assisted flushing. The basic concept of water efficient toilet design and operation was shifted from removing waste by using flush water in volume to increasing flush water velocity.
With the limited supply and continuous waste of water resource, it is crucial that we wake up and use it wisely so that we can protect and preserve our environment, minimise the effects of drought and save energy. Upgrading to low flow toilets can play an important role in conserving water.
Advantages Of Low Flow Toilets
1. Water Conservation
The low-flow toilets use a maximum of 1.6 gallons as compared to older models which used to consume as many as 7 gallons of water every time you flush; which means that in a year a family of four can save up to 13000 gallons.
2. Cost Savings
Save money which was earlier flushed in the water bills with the flush water. Though initial investment of upgrading your toilet to low flush may be high, the end results will be cost effective.
Water Efficient Toilets – Know The 3 Basic Designs
Toilets work on two basic functions i.e. intake of water from the toilet tank and the discharge of wastewater. And on the basis of these two functions three basic designs for toilet system are available:
1. Gravity-Fed Tank: They rely on the power of gravity and the larger opening to do work.
2. Two-Button Flush: These are a gravity-fed tank with two-flush buttons, one for liquid wastes and the other for solids.
3. Power-Assist or Pressure-Assisted: These are powerful than gravity-fed toilets and uses compressed air to force the water to flush the waste.
SMALL Tips for BIGGER difference.
1. Buy A Low-Flow Toilet/Dual Flush Toilet: Your old toilets may be wasting water due to inefficiency. Upgrade your low-flow toilet or Dual flush toilet to conserve large amount of water.
2. Check for Any Leaks: Take a regular check on faucets and toilet guns even a single drop amounts to five gallon of water at the end of the day which is a great loss and should not be neglected.
3. Place A Plastic Bottle Inside Tank: Weird, right? But, it works. All you have to do is to fill a plastic bottle with pebbles and put it in the toilet tank. This simple step can save 10 gallons per day. Try it now.
4. Don’t Flush Tissues, Insects, and Other Waste in the toilet: Flushing these will again take few gallons. Better to throw these in a waste bucket and dispose of.
These tips are small but the impact created by adapting cannot be measured. A small change in daily habits can make the world a better place to live in.