Assembly Elections 2018 Has Shown The BJP That Democracy Is About People, Not Mandir

Remember the WWE match where Samoa Joe locked Brock Lesnar in the Coquina Clutch leaving him gasping for breath? Samoa Joe’s lock is famous for chocking the opponents who are left with no other option but to tap out. Our democracy was somewhat in a similar position where it was chocking under BJP’s strong grab. But it didn’t tap out. It conjured its full power and tried all its might to lift the hands off its neck so that it can breathe a little bit. It’s still down breathing heavily, one more punch and you never know the reign of saffron terror that may unleash .

Elections are the best test of democracy. No matter how big, rich or powerful you are, or what are your propaganda strategies, people know just what to do. The results of Madhya Pradesh assembly elections is definitely a recovery for democracy. I am not sure how much of an impact it can create in the upcoming 2019 Lok Sabha elections, but I am sure BJP has received some valuable lessons in democracy. Democracy is all about people. It’s about their rights, concerns, and choices and people can’t be fooled in the name of casteism, meat-ban, Ram Mandir, among many other divisive political strategies. Five years ago people may have fallen for the trap and wave of fake news on social media set by the saffron party, but this time they have come to realise the truth. It isn’t that easy to win people’s trust now.

What’s good for democracy now- coalition? We saw the UPA 2 alliance and how it worked. Congress seems to be obsessed with its chief to give a chance to other leaders. Also, the chances of a strong third-front appear to be very bleak. At present, democracy is short of choices, the very objective what it is supposed to serve. So this confusion and uncertainty will continue like this until there is a choice. The young blood of the country is promising, and the likes of Kanhaiya Kumar, Shehla Rashid Shora, Sachin Pilot, among many more are giving some hope.

Despite all storm, our democracy is showing some encouraging signs. People will no more tolerate dirty political games. We can’t let anyone choke us and take us back to ancient times and forcibly make us realise our culture and that we should be the same now. We are what we are right now. Let’s stick to that. Let’s give it some space to breathe. Let people sing national and and hail ‘Bharat Mata’ at their own will. There’s no point in forcing it on the people.