Do Our Politicians Really Respect Dr Ambedkar If They Fail To Condemn Mob Violence?

“Law and order are the medicine of the body politic and when the body gets sick medicine must be administered” Dr. BR Ambedkar.

Dr. Ambedkar was the first Law and Justice Minister of independent India. He is popularly known as the Father of the Indian Constitution. It may be a coincidence that on his 36th death anniversary Supreme Court’s order was dishonoured by a large group of people by demolishing the structure of Babri Masjid on 6 December 1992 in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. Karsewaks and even system didn’t care about the Supreme Court’s order of not harming the structure instead they did whatever they wanted and they celebrate this day as “Shaurya Diwas”.

The ruling party and all the groups claim Ambedkar as their idol now basically using him as a political tool. But they have always remained silent when Dr. Ambedkar’s constitution was disrespected by some groups in the name of religion. These groups call themselves the well-wishers of religion. That can be the reason for the silence of political parties on violence perpetrated by these spiritual groups ‘safeguarding’ their religion. Elections are coming and none of them can face the loss of votes by condemning these acts, but they can see democracy dying in broad daylight.

That’s what happened in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr where the mob became violent after an alleged incident of cow slaughtering. Villagers reported the matter to the Police and while police were listening to people the roads were jammed by this mob. As the police force was trying to handle the situation, the mob started stone pelting and someone from the mob fired on the police and attacked the force. A student of BA 2nd year and an inspector Subodh Kumar Singh died in the clashes. No political party has condemned the violence. There were a number of justifications to this incident with people commenting that if we want such incidents to stop, cow slaughtering should be stopped first. But I think this is all vote bank politics. All this happened three days ago just before the 63rd death anniversary of the Father of the Indian constitution – the man who spent his life raising his voice against such violence.

No person from the government was able to find time to console the family of the slain inspector Subodh Kumar Singh. Even opposition is silent over this incident. A formality was completed through an announcement for compensation. While the accused person is yet to face any charges. Later, Subodh Kumar Singh’s family also went to meet CM Yogi Adityanath.

“I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality, and fraternity” Dr. BR Ambedkar.

This quote by Dr. Ambedkar shows that he was a great admirer of liberty, equality, and fraternity. He wanted all these features in his own religion as well. He spoke against all kinds of discrimination in the society which were being practised because of the fear created among people by those who wanted them to follow the tenets by preaching that they are the orders given by God. He accepted Buddhism during his last days of life.

Dr. Ambedkar always criticised the practices which were discriminatory and perpetuate inequality among people. He always advocated equality and equal rights for each and every citizen. Hindu Code Bill was the result of his dedication towards change and reform and at the same time, his dream to empower women in India. He was in favour of reservation for minorities, but for a limited time period. But the idea of re-evaluating the reservation law or any appraisal to the law/policy has never been pursued by leaders because of the vote bank politics.

Silence on violence can never be justified by the constitution that Dr. Ambedkar gave us. Following his ideas, thoughts and being successful in maintaining law and order will be the biggest tribute to the Father of Indian Constitution.