Rewind, Press, And Play: Bollywood Hits That Ruled Our Playlists This Year

Bollywood films can never be complete without songs and soundtracks. It certainly would be no overstatement to say that songs and music form the heart and soul of a Hindi film, right from Hardy Sandhu’s ‘Naah’ to Atif Aslam’s “Dil Diyaan Gallaan” saw countless chart busters.

This year, it has been no different. Bollywood has churned out some top-notch melodies this year around as well. Here’s a list of top 7 songs that have rocked my personal playlist in 2018. I am quite sure 10,000 different people would have 10,000 different opinions. Your playlist could be completely different from mine. Do leave your comments below.

So, here’s a list of some popular songs from the 2018 playlist

1. Dilbaro (Raazi)

While the film became immensely popular because of Alia Bhatt’s stellar act and Meghna Gulzar’s tight direction, the film’s soundtrack too left an everlasting impact on the listener’s mind because of the catchy lyrics and soulful music. Out of all the songs within the film’s soundtrack, “Dilbaro”, sung by Harshdeep and Shankar Mahadevan stood out for me. The song is penned by veteran lyricist Gulzar, who happens to be the director’s father, and beautifully captures the bond shared by the father-daughter duo.

2. Dhadak Title Track

The song became an instant success because of its hummable lyrics and breath-taking vocals. Shreya Ghosal and the composer duo of Ajay-Atul collaborated to bring us one of the best songs of the year. The picturesque surroundings acted as the perfect stage for the lead pair to express love. The bright and colourful locations of Rajasthan add a majestic touch to the song. Also, a feeling of fragility and rawness portrayed in the song’s music video makes you listen to the song again and again.

3. Binte Dil (Padmaavat)

The best thing about Padmaavat’s soundtrack was its richness. Songs symbolize almost every human emotion.  “Binte Dil “, sung by the ever-so-talented Arijit Singh and penned by AM Turaz beautifully captures Allah-ud-din’s burning desire to get a glimpse of Rani Padmaavati. Ornamenting the song are colourful lyrics portraying a myriad of human emotions, ranging from lust to desire to seduction and everything in between. If I could describe the song in a single word, I’d say it is intimate.

4. O Saathi (Baaghi 2)

How can any list of popular songs be complete without Atif Aslam? 2018, in all fairness, had Atif Aslam’s name written all over it. This lad from Pakistan churned out one hit song after the other in 2018. “O Saathi” from the Tiger Shroff starrer “Baaghi 2” is one of them. The film set the ticket windows on fire and emerged as one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of the year. One of the major reasons behind the film’s success was its hit soundtrack.

Playing the song ‘O Saathi’ reminded me of all of my childhood crushes. The lyrics and the music are easy on the ear and do not sound laboured at all. The number is both soulful as well as peppy. Not to forget, Atif Aslam’s mesmerizing voice makes you forget everything else while you’re listening to the song. Also, what makes the song memorable is the music video. Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani are shown together throughout the duration of the song and one has to say that they do look cute together.

5. Kamariya (Stree)

This one’s for all the party lovers out there. If you were to take my opinion, I’d say it is one of the best dance numbers I have ever heard. The lyrics are quite catchy and easy to remember. There’s an element of naughtiness portrayed within the song and the lyrics of the song bring out that naughty feeling really well without making it look vulgar. And, and, and how can we forget Nora Fatehi’s electric dance moves? She’s the best thing about the song. Vocals, provided by Astha Gill, Divya Kumar, and Sachin-Jigar are fun and peppy. Also, there’s a sense of rawness that adds significantly to the overall charm of the song. I bet this song would be on every DJ’s list. Going by the song’s popularity, one can easily say that ‘Kamariya’ from “Stree” is the year’s most popular dance number.

6. Dariya (Manmarziyaan)

The film might have bombed at the box office, but the charm of the film’s soundtrack became immensely popular with the masses. ‘Daryaa’ sung by Ammy Virk and Shahid Malliya throws ample light on the pain and tribulation one goes through after parting ways with his/her beloved. The song is notable for its moving lyrics, penned by Shellee.  Ammy Virk’s voice complements the melancholic mood of the song. The song became an instant chart buster in various regions of north India owing to its strong Punjabi essence and flavour. I must confess this one would remain in my playlist for quite a looong time…

7. Dekhte Dekhte (Batti Gul Meter Chaalu)

Atif Aslam gate-crashes this countdown yet again. This one is a recreation of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan’s qawwali titled ‘Sochta Hoon”. Additional lyrics for the song were penned by Manoj Muntashir. The song borrows heavily from the original version, but that doesn’t take anything away from Atif Aslam, who adds a pinch of freshness to the song with his moving voice. Atif Aslam has always been known for his melancholic and melodious songs and it was no different in this case. The fact that the song’s music video garnered more than 20 million views on YouTube within 24 hours of its release speaks volumes about the song’s popularity and mass appeal.

Other notable mentions:

• Bum Diggy-Diggy Bum-Bum,
  • Dil Chori
  • Tera Yaar Hoon Main
  • Dilbar
  • Paaniyon Sa
  • Qaafirana