This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Divya agarwal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Brighter Side Of Facebook

More from Divya agarwal

Those adults who are inactive and unaddicted to social networking site like Facebook might feel that Mark Zuckerberg has done the worst thing by creating this nuisance which is eating away a lot of valuable time of the present generation. However, I assume that this category would include very few people from my age because after the smartphones have revolutionised the planet, accessing Facebook is a matter of few clicks. And it won’t be wrong to say that we are all knowingly or unknowing smitten by it.

Many times I feel that Facebook is not a less than a miracle in this fast-paced world, for people who use it wisely. Scrolling through Facebook for a limited duration not only keep us updated about the world, but also suffices the inability of keeping in touch with everybody personally. There are lots of our friends on Facebook, who have been a part of our lives at some time. But as time passes, the contact goes. As it is said, ‘out of sight: out of mind’, the same happens with people. As soon as our meetings decrease, our communication fades away somewhere. Slowly we lose contact, and finally, that person remains a memory in our minds, not knowing where on earth they are and not knowing what exactly is going on in each other’s lives. It often happens, that after some years when we accidentally bump into each other, we come to know what’s going on in each other’s life. (Long after the event is not new anymore). But thankfully, after communication through letters and text messages vanished WhatsApp and Facebook took its place.

It has been 14 years since Facebook was launched, and I must say it has still not lost its charm (Many, including me, still spend a lot of time on it). It was just yesterday that I saw a post on Facebook wherein one of my classmate and once a very good had announced her marriage. I had lost contact with her years ago. I wished her, which I would have never done, had it not been this site. And the other day, another one had just landed a dream job which Facebook told me about. I know now that the backbencher who did nothing other than annoying the teacher is a white collar official today. (Envious but motivating) She was very close to me at one point in time, an integral part of life. But as the time passed, not only did we forget each other, but the memories too faded away. But thanks to Facebook, it’s like reliving those times again. While wishing, we chatted about our old days and how Facebook helped us connect again. Often while scrolling through our timelines we get a chance to interact, and this becomes the icebreakers.

The best part is, social media helps you not to forget your old acquaintances. It may happen that a person who was your school buddy, has all grown up with a matured appearance,( so much that you may not even recognise him if he comes across.). But just by surfing through their profile you can get his latest profile picture. Now you can be saved by an embarrassing situation of not being able to recognise each other if you ever meet.

On a serious note, just ‘like’ some good informative pages, and you are done with knowing everything from international news to Bollywood gossip, from beauty secrets to cooking tips, from exam updates to job openings and of course live updates, even before it is formally announced.

Are you looking for a job? Want to share your talent? Just join various Facebook groups, and you are sorted. It is that simple.

There are many things one can do on Facebook and be benefited by it, in a very short time. The need is only to be aware of the features it offers, and not get tempted by wasting your time on it.

Anyway, I’ll leave it to your wisdom, as to how do you use it.

May you have a lot of exciting things to surf on FB.

More from Divya agarwal

By Oasis Movement

By Four Route