Why Do Millions Of Children In India Die Of Cancer Every Year?

Even though India ranks third worldwide in cancer cases, this medical condition is the second most common cause for the deaths in the country.

As per an estimate, about 9.6 million people die from this medical condition every year. It is not that India isn’t equipped with adequate infrastructure and medical facilities for treating cancer patients; as the South Asian nation is already known worldwide, for its skilled doctors, advanced and low-cost treatment.

As per the recent trend, the country’s healthcare sector is expected to generate $9 billion in 2020— owing to growing medical tourism. That said, unfortunately, half a million deaths happen due to the ignorance of the disease. Additionally, the rising medical costs, coupled with late detection of disease, and unaffordability, leads to premature deaths, in which over 15% are children—a grave concern.

One study puts “the annual toll of childhood cancer at over 11.5 million years of healthy life lost in 2017.”

Unfortunately, half a million deaths happen due to the ignorance about cancer. Representational image.

Amidst such a scenario, there are some NGOs which strive to provide free/low-cost treatment to underprivileged cancer patients, especially kids— giving them a fair chance to fight this perilous medical condition.

For instance, Cuddles Foundation based out of Mumbai provides holistic nutritional support to the underprivileged children fighting cancer. Founder and CEO, Purnota Dutta Bahl believes that nutritionists are the backbone of the program, thus, the organisation prepares a diet based on the child’s malnourishment level and his/her medical condition.

Similarly, 1SmallStepForCancer, in collaboration with Rotary Club of Mumbai Queens Necklace, helps children fight cancer. It was Sanjiv Mehta, the CEO of Shah Brothers Ispat and also the former president of Rotary Club, whose exemplary efforts led to the establishment of an emergency fund for childhood cancer.

“Your small donation can facilitate 1SmallStepForCancer’s dream of increasing the survival of Child Cancer in India. Everyone can be that catalyst of change and make a difference in the lives of children,” says Sanjiv Mehta, Shah Brothers Ispat.

Besides this, NGOs like CanKids-KidsCan and DEAN Foundation continue to provide medical care to children suffering from cancer, belonging to the underprivileged section of the society. These organisations work day in, day out to make a difference to the lives of millions of children; so that they can study and lead a healthy and prosperous life. Your small efforts and a timely donation can also make a difference in a poor patient’s life.