This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kuldeep Sharma. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Placement May Help, But In The End It Is Your Drive That Will Push You Forward

More from Kuldeep Sharma

Placements play pivotal role in the last year of graduation for students, breeding a vast range of dreams and hopes. In the final year of graduation, every student starts gearing up for placements, full of dedication and hard work, because they truly believe it may change their life.

Moreover, they start dreaming how after getting placed, life will be settled, they will be independent and most importantly, their parents will be on cloud nine. This state of mind is quite prevalent for the students during placement time. In addition, the scenario near placements remains exciting. Trimmers are fully charged and all mirrors are occupied in the students’ room. Many are happy about this professional transformation.

However, some students also have a fear that if they don’t get placed, then their life can be devastating one after graduation. They usually deem placement as a gateway of opportunities as well as their fortune, which is partly erroneous perception, because there is a hidden story behind placements that happen in most colleges and universities.

The grim reality behind placements is that most colleges invite newly started companies by giving them money so that the reputation of the institution is maintained. Companies thus, during placements, usually take students in bulk. Thereafter, once students get their joining letter, they are often compelled to leave the company within a month because of an unanticipated and stressful working atmosphere as well as due to certain unexpected conditions.

For instance, one of my friends got placed in a company with a package of Rs. 3.2 lakh. However, when he started doing his job, he got a lesser salary as compared to his package; yet, he continued at the job. Soon, the company brought in a new policy that, as a bond, he would have to submit a cheque for Rs. 50,000 along with a one-month notice period extending to a three-month notice period, which is certainly unfair. Finally, the man, who was full of dreams and hopes, found himself broken and left the company.

Now, if we do a deeper analysis, then, what questions arise?

It must be noted that why should good companies come to colleges and universities when they already have so many graduates in a queue outside their gates? Yet, companies where there is no measurable stability and growth are almost always amongst those who arrive at placement sessions.

In colleges, placements are usually carried out by recommendations, and not enough on the basis of talent and knowledge. This is something I have witnessed. Because this is somewhat the ultimate truth, it is better to instill it in graduates. Often, those who do not get placed, find themselves in a state of depression and frustration, because they take placements as matter of prestige and self-satisfaction.

It is partly true, but what is way more important is to carry a positive attitude about your life and your abilities. After graduation, a graduate goes through many phases. Which is why I would like to say that every young graduate should have an utter conviction in his/her abilities because those abilities in the form of skills provide myriad opportunities to them, which result in permanent success for them. Never care about naysayers and others, what they say and think about you; always keep your parents in mind and convince them about what you are looking to do, because parental support acts as a backbone at this crucial time.

Nonetheless, if something is not working out then have patience and wait for the right time, because for a young graduate, there is a long journey which he/she has to cover. There are many friends of mine, who quit a job that was unfair to them and after a span of struggle, they are now settled and happy. Everyone finds success eventually, but one should always remain on the path of knowledge and learning.

I shared this experience because I have undergone through such phases and have inculcated that whatever is happening to you, whether good or bad, there is a big lesson behind it, all you have to do is try to decode that lesson.

Always be positive and trust your heart and soul, whatever your heart says to you, that will definitely happen in your life.

I believe these wonderful lines, “Manzil unhi ko milti hai, jinke sapno mein jaan hoti hai; pankh se kuchh nahin hota, hauslon se udaan hoti hai.”

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Shailesh Raval for India Today Group via Getty.

More from Kuldeep Sharma

By Submitted anonymously

By Amya Roy

By Shipra Gupta