Here’s Why Farmers Are Important For Earth Day 2020

Earth Day Network has launched #FarmersForEarth, a campaign that encourages farmers to adopt climate-resilient farming techniques. Launched on October 16, 2019, on the occasion of World Food Day, the campaign is important—given the concern of land degradation because of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and the need to rejuvenate the soil, among many other issues.

On the upcoming Farmers Day, December 23, 2019, the campaign was scaled up by Earth Day Network coordinators across India. #FarmersForEarth will help farmers comprehend existing government schemes such as the National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture, Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthan Mahabhiyan (for promotion of renewable energy). Through this initiative, Earth Day Network India will encourage farmers to go chemical-free, switch to solar power to irrigate their fields, manage waste, share best practices widely, adopt ways to conserve precious water, among others.

The campaign will see focused training of master trainers including farmers, farmer producer companies and civil society on sustainable and environmentally friendly agricultural practices. Training has already taken place in various villages across Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh.

The focus on soil and water conservation will help enhance farmer’s ability to produce food that is safe, nutritious and environmentally friendly. Our farmers play a significant role to preserve the natural environment, and for them, every day is Earth Day!

Earth Day marks the beginning of an environmental movement. A movement in 1970 that led to the passage of clean air, clean water and strong environmental protection acts in America, was a historical one. As next year will mark 50th anniversary of Earth Day, farmers play an important role to improve the environment for better human health, green pastures, more abundant crops and thus provide an overall upward surge of their lifestyles.

Join us if you believe in this cause!