5 Short Films Made By Students That Prove They Want To Build A Better India

That films are an integral part of our life is no hyperbole. Cinema, because of its wider reach and accessibility, is no less than a mirror which helps us reflect on a host of issues.

The likes of media platforms such as YouTube have allowed amateur filmmakers and students to come forward and voice their concerns regarding anything and everything under the sun. From blood donation to physical disability to the ever-growing problem of child abuse, countless videos are being churned out by students in with an intent to mobilise public opinion and bring about a desirable change.

Here are a few notable mentions that have student filmmakers behind the camera.

1. Disability Is Only A State Of Mind

Made by the students of IP University (BJMC), Batch of 2015, the seven-minute film throws ample light on how a student with physical disability is looked down upon by his own classmates. Furthermore, the film also brings to light the stigma associated with disability. The protagonist is repeatedly tormented by his own batchmates before proving his mettle in the most unusual manner.

The film would go well with those searching for some badly-needed inspiration. It portrays the journey of a 19-year-old from the depths of the oblivion to the heights of self-confidence.

Despite some crude camerawork, the message conveyed within the film is loud and clear. Also, the background music (by Swiss musician Adrian Von Ziegler) complements the melancholic atmosphere created within the film.

2. The Saviours

Made by the students of Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, this one sheds ample light on the positives surrounding blood donation. Despite being shot on a shoestring budget, the camerawork and background score are top notch.

The film begins with a dramatized representation of an accident. The five minute long sequence featuring the accident is quite impactful and makes the viewer feel moved. The short film beautifully portrays the need to inculcate a sense of sensitivity towards accident victims. The fact that there’s a severe dearth of blood donors in India has been brought to light in this documentary. It is not just any other piece of videography delivering a social message, but attempts to call to the sensitivity and empathy of the viewer.

3. Juju: An Incredible Life In CIMR

Helmed by Chandy Nanar from the North Eastern Hill University at Shillong, Juju brings the viewer closer to Joy Mathew, a lad man suffering from mental ailments. The short film, produced in collaboration with Central Institute for Mental Retardation (CIMR) shows us the inspiring journey of Mr. Joy Mathew; he is the heart and soul of the documentary.

The narratives shows how he not just overcame mental ailments, but also the stigma associated with them on his way to becoming a mature and confident individual. The documentary features interviews with his mother (who happens to be a doctor) and father (who is an advocate).

For those feeling bogged down and unmotivated, the film comes as a breath of fresh air and would surely make you forget all your hardships. Simply put, the film not only motivates the viewer but also reinstates an age-old saying that nothing is impossible.

4. Young India

Made by Green Emerald Productions, Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies and shot in a moving bus, this short film attempts to instill a sense of responsibility within the hearts of the urban youth.

The film begins with two friends talking while waiting for the bus to arrive. After the bus arrives and both protagonists board it, some unwelcoming frowns and stares by their co-passengers can be seen greeting them. A couple of women can be seen muttering words of wisdom but their words are as fragile as their actions. A few comments are passed and a few unwelcoming gestures are made by the co-passengers The movie holds a mirror to the paradox that India is.

The film showcases a caring side of the Indian youth. Youngsters in our country may have embraced the western culture with both their hands, but that, by no means, gives you an indication that the youth has lost its values and faith.

5. Seat No. 39

This has been directed by Naveen Sharma and Deepak Sharma. Without the shadow of a doubt, Seat No. 39 is one of the most touching short films you’d ever get to see. The protagonist is recollecting the events that made his train journey from Ahmedabad to Delhi memorable.

The opening shot of the film shows the protagonist sitting in a hostel room with countless fragments of broken thoughts flying through his mind. The story then enters into the flashback mode with the protagonist recalling how he met a beautiful lady co-passenger during the train journey to Delhi.

What stands out in the short film is the sweet and innocent depiction of romance. The entire scenario has a certain degree of naivety. This naivety adds a significant amount of charm to the entire story. There are moments wherein you want to cry. The film is driven by human emotions and in the end, the viewer is left with mixed emotions.

Featured image source: College Diaries; Chandy Nanar; Kahanikaar कहानीकार/YouTube.

CONTEST ALERT!

Have a period experience that really stood out for you? Share your story in 150 words or more and get featured on our homepage!

Participate now!