Is Hinduism Losing Its Essence Of Agnosticism?

The contemporary propagation of Hinduism is mutilating the core essence of the religion; beliefs and faiths of innocent people are being taken undue advantage of. Rather than being a rigid religion, Hinduism was a philosophy and a way of life since its very beginning. Albeit one could argue against the rigidity in Hinduism by putting forward the flexibility in practicing rituals; rigidity in Hinduism is gaining an altogether different form.

The politically motivated strong stand for demolition of Babri Masjid to build a Ram Mandir is a quintessence. Any cerebral wouldn’t deny the existence of Ram Mandir, once upon a time in third millennium BC, but at the same time it is extremely balderdash to demolish the Babri Masjid built in the 16th century AD. This argument to a cerebral person would be like to demolish the state of Punjab because once there existed Harappa Civilization.

Though people started worshiping idols long back in 2nd millennium BC, Hinduism was never really only about idol worshiping. But it is now reduced to just idol worshiping by falsely propagating the religion for political benefits and unfortunately thousands of people have been victims of the so called godmen who act as catalysts for nurturing a vote bank.

Another rigidity acquiring fair amount of consideration is that the innocent Hindus living in peace and harmony are made to believe that they are the only inheritors of this land and are made to pick weapons against the other religions. It is not disappointing to see people follow a particular religion, belief or faith; but what is most disappointing is that people are made to accept unreligious faiths and beliefs in the name of religion. The situation has arisen because people started placing more faith in the godmen than the god itself.

In the third chapter of the Bhagavad Gita, “Karmayoga”, Krishna establishes the fact by various points of view that the performance of prescribed duties is obligatory for everyone and not one single ritual has been mentioned in it. He also speaks of the actions that lead to either bondage or salvation and not one single ritual has been mentioned that leads to salvation.

In the eleventh chapter, “Visvarupa Darsana Yoga”, Krishna reveals his ultimate form to Arjun and it establishes the fact that there is a creator for every single thing in the universe- which is what Agnosticism says. The ones who are well acquainted with Mahabharatha would know that not everyone saw Krishna’s Vishwaroop, except for Bheeshmapita, Vidur and Arjun. While agnosticism also claims that the existence of creator is unknowable.

It can be said that Hinduism is Agnosticism and Agnosticism is Hinduism because both tell us to perform our duties with moral responsibilities. A verse from Nasadiya Sukta in Rigveda says,

“But, after all, who knows, and who can say Whence it all came, and how creation happened? The gods themselves are later than creation, so who knows truly whence it has arisen?

Whence all creation had its origin, he, whether he fashioned it or whether he did not, he, who surveys it all from highest heaven, he knows – or maybe even he does not know.”

It is apt to say that Hinduism is losing its essence of agnosticism and acquiring a rigid form due to its amalgamation with politics and also it has victimized innocent people who hold high faith in the religion. When religion takes a rigid form and amalgamates with politics the outcome may be similar to Pakistan, Saudi, Iraq, Iran and a few more countries.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey