5 Eco-Friendly Products That Millennials Are Loving In 2019

Though technology is advancing at lightning speed across the globe, it is yet not for possible for people to shift and live on Mars. The only option to live a healthy life is to make Earth a cleaner and better planet.

Starting from plastic bans, encouraging eco-tourism and use of biodegradable products, and various initiatives have been undertaken in multiple states to make India eco-friendly. Eco-tourism and biodegradable products are gaining ground in India as people are becoming aware about the need to develop a friendship with nature, travel responsibly, and move towards sustainable life. Eco-friendly alternatives to plastic, too, have forayed into the Indian market, and many of us are now making efforts towards creating and maintaining a healthy environment.

There is need from more people to make conscious effort in 2019. And here are five key eco-friendly trends to watch for in 2019:

Bamboo Toothbrushes

Millions of plastic toothbrushes add to over-overburdened waste disposal systems every month. Many organisations have started working towards producing bamboo toothbrushes and have conducted multiple campaigns this year in order to spread awareness about the existence of this eco-friendly alternative. With the right amount of awareness and ease of accessibility, millennials are more likely to catch up with the trend of using bamboo toothbrushes in the coming year.

Bio Bags

Of all the single-use plastic products hampering our environment, plastic bags have been creating the largest environmental threat across all cities. As per reports, we use up to 5 trillion disposable plastic bags every year. They not only end up in landfills, but have also been a major turn-off for tourists visiting India.

The quest to plug the proliferation of plastic bags across the country has inspired a coterie of entrepreneurs to design greener alternatives. There are now multi-purpose bags made from compostable materials, like bio-based starch or potato, which make them easily compostable.

Compostable Tableware

Compostable tableware products like plates, trays, and bowls, which are alternative to cheap plastic and Styrofoam food containers, have seen a growing demand in 2018. Due to their multi-purpose usage, the tableware products have been used extensively in popular food joints, weddings, parties, festivals, and even celebrity events. Indian Railways have collaborated with CHUK to implement biodegradable tableware as part of its drive to go green. This trend will only see an increase in 2019.

Bamboo And Paper Straws

Single use plastic straws are going out of style as people recognise their harmful, wasteful, and environment-damaging qualities. Leading food joints have implemented compostable straws and 2019 will witness a significant rise in the use of these straws. Apart from leading food chains, they will also be used in smaller restaurants, events, and even at house parties.

Biodegradable Cutlery

Biodegradable cutlery, which is edible and easily compostable, is gaining momentum. With many companies focusing on biodegradable cutlery (which is edible too), this is turning out to be a fun alternative. The products have also seen demand from various food and hotel chains.

Made from various sustainable natural resources like corn starch, rice husk, or potato starch, these products are completely safe to consume food with. More and more hospital and hotel chains will use this kind of cutlery in 2019.

A Greener Tomorrow

Sustainability is the need of the hour and the upcoming year will be more about switching to environment-friendly substitutes, the momentum for which has been building up this year. A clean environment is not only essential for controlling pollution, but also important to boost tourism in the country. The concept of eco-friendly alternatives should not only be made popular amongst Indians, but foreign travellers should also be discouraged from bringing plastic products into the country.

With a new year, let’s open up new horizons for environment-friendly products and engage in making our planet greener and cleaner.

Featured Image source: Tong Kuan Chuah/Flickr.