This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Pramiti Lonkar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

10 Instagram Accounts That Are Unapologetically Feminine And How!

More from Pramiti Lonkar

1. Pink Bits

To say that one must love all shapes and sizes is easier said than done. Run by an Australia-based artist, this page looks at beauty beyond conventional standards. Every body hair, every stretch mark is beautiful in these illustrations. The artist also explores menstruation, trichollotomania, diabetes and other issues in her work.

View this post on Instagram

Today’s illustration is a little more personal ♥️ Here is a simplified look at my bras whilst growing up and what they said about me at the time. ? When i was young and my boobs first started growing in, I remember my mum handed me a ‘training bra’, I was confused but obliged. ? The second bra took up so many years – which is quite sad reflecting on it now. I was wearing under-wire, push up, male gaze designed crap as my everyday bra. Now, lingerie itself is nothing to demonise, it can be empowering, a fabulous means of self expression and just lovely to wear – but it was not these things for me and was worn as someone who was very insecure and dressing for the male gaze in the hopes of something – perhaps wanting to be found attractive? Who knows. Feminism was not something I knew much of nor understood whilst growing up (growing up sheltered + religious, in a religious school, with traditional & strict parents – oh what fun) ? Today when I get dressed, I’m putting myself first, which would’ve been a revelation to younger me, and I’m not sure she’d recognise me now. If you’ve read this far, thank you ♥️ Do you have a similar experience, or can you empathise? What has your journey looked like? ♥️ . . . #pinkbits #art #illustration #design #feminist #representation #diversity #pastel #peach #bra #lingerie #growingup

A post shared by Pink Bits (@pink_bits) on

2. Liv & Dom

These UK based illustrators create nude incense holders and candle holders. The incense holders make the woman’s body the centre of attention and celebrate womanhood. The illustrations are made in such a way that attempt neither to subdue nor glorify the female form.

3. Brown Girl Gazin

Despite much criticism about airbrushing and unrelatable beauty standards in advertising and magazines, we’re still on the lookout for women that we relate to. This account seeks to redefine beauty through relatable women, their body issues and acknowledges their imperfections rather than treating them as flaws that need to be brushed under the carpet.

4. Maya Mittal

You know how you watch Cardi B videos sometimes and wish you had your own Indian comeback taglines? Well, this account has got you covered. Follow this account for some humorous one liners. One of my favourites is the illustration Blame It On Nazar. Check it out!

View this post on Instagram

Pass the aachar™

A post shared by ???? ?️ (@mayamittal_) on

5. Sanitary Panels

The comic strips on this page range from politics to women’s issues and everything in between. This account will probably lead to an awakening about your relationships and friendships across gender and drops truth bombs left, right and center. One look at a comic strip and you might want to rethink many closely held beliefs!

6. Feminism In India

This account speaks to women achievers across ages, recommends good short films to watch and helps you stay abreast with the latest conversations on gender and sexuality. Following this page perhaps may also shine a light on your internalised biases and help you unlearn some of them through their section of #fiimythbusting.

7. The Indian Feminist

This page has some interesting analogies that Indian women would relate to. It also helps to start some new conversations and you can buy some funny stickers that you can buy! Through its anecdotes and curated tweets, the page smashes patriarchy, one post at a time.

View this post on Instagram

Tag em below ??

A post shared by The Indian Feminist (@the_indian_feminist) on

8. Gay Si Family

Serving as a space for conversations on the LGBTQ community, this page discusses the issues of representation. Head to this page for some insightful reviews on the representation of the community in popular culture. You could also visit their website for details on their latest work and read personal stories.

9. Woke Desi Boy

Created by Imaan Shaikh, Woke Desi Boy is about Bare Minimum Basheer and his girlfriend. Basheer believes he is a feminist but he’s in for a rude shock every time he speaks to his mother or girlfriend and realises he isn’t ‘woke’ enough. A few laughs and some truth bombs guaranteed!

View this post on Instagram

moment of clarity

A post shared by Bare Minimum Basheer (@wokedesiboy) on

10. I Am Like Other Girls

If you’re tired of seeing morally upright and socially accepted representations of women, this project is worth looking at. This page includes portraits of women who accept their individuality. It’s about celebrating your flaws and being unapologetic about your choices. Although this project is now defunct, scroll down to find someone relatable and perhaps you might! If not, wait around for the project to restart and you could send in your entries too!

Featured image source: Pink Bits; I Am Like Other Girls; Maya Mittal/Instagram.

More from Pramiti Lonkar

By Ishita Agarwal

By Maseera Khan

By Shafia Shaan