Election Fever: The Widespread Ailment

In a desperate measure to square this circle, the Yogi Adityanath government has cleared a ‘cow cess’ in Uttar Pradesh, amounting to a further tax on a poor state’s economy. Every politician, nowadays, seems to be suffering from one disease- the Election Fever. The symptom of this disease commonly occurs before a month of the date of voting, and carries on till the last date of polling. People who usually suffer from this ailment are politicians, and, of course, the common man. It ordinarily occurs when the voting period is near, and attempts are made by politicians in full swing to make a blown up show of all their possibilities, responsibilities, achievements etc. to other parties. This fever also leads to nightmares, until the announcement of the result. Jokes apart, I have a serious concern.

The right to vote given to the citizens by the Constitution of India, gives us the power to choose our representatives. There are no conditions attached to this right. This indirectly extends Constitution political powers to the common man. The voters exercise their right to vote to elect representatives to the Lok Sabha, the State Legislative Assemblies and the Local bodies like the Gram Panchayat.

The endeavour of our constitutional framers was to process elections freely and fairly. Elections in India are divided into two systems, where the whole country is divided into constituencies. Voters select a single candidate by marking against the candidate of their choice, or through electronic voting machines. The candidate who secures the highest number of votes is declared elected. The system is easy to operate. The Constitution prescribes the membership strength of the Lok Sabha and the State Legislative Assemblies.

Media plays a very important role in political campaigns. Nowadays, it is dominated by the demand of technology and the methodology of the media, particularly mobile. Clearly, the priority this time around is Ayodhya, Sabarimala, and cows. No one cares about the economy.

Politicians must talk about improving and suggesting measures to strengthen our economic condition. We also must not forget our neighbouring country China, with their uncertainties. On the domestic front, they seem to be prickly portents.

CMIE data show that investments have plunged to a 14-year low, with a fall seen across all the major sectors. Thus fiscal health is once again threatened by election fever, which has been accompanied by religious identity. In a desperate measure to square this circle, the Yogi Adityanath government has cleared a ‘cow cess’ in Uttar Pradesh, amounting to a further tax on a poor state’s economy. BJP’s recent reverses in three heartland states suggest that voters do care about a misfiring economy.

Election Commission declared the date of voting to various state polls. India’s Grand festival coming soon and gear up our self for DESH KA MAHA TEWHAR-LOK SABHA ELECTION 2019.