Sometimes I Really Wonder If We Were Better Off Without Technology

Recently I got furious about such a silly thing that it got me thinking if I had temper issues. Let me tell you about the incident that led me to write this piece. My phone wasn’t working well for a few weeks, however, I was still managing somehow. On the weekend, I received pictures of my close friend’s wedding—which I tried downloading but couldn’t—as I was getting 2G on my phone. I tried everything to make my phone get a 4G network but to no avail.

Irritated and agitated, I went to my room and plugged my phone for charging. On entering my room, I saw that one of my family members had moved my laptop from the sofa to another place. I can’t explain in words how angry I felt at that moment. I ended up yelling at my all my family members, forgetting about behaving properly at all times – like I was taught since childhood. As you can guess, this led to full-on arguments; saying things to each other that one would not want/wish to say otherwise. 

This incident ruined everyone’s mood especially my mother’s. Because I’m an adult and I still don’t know when or how to react. This incident got me thinking if I have temper issues, about why I felt that angry and do I really don’t know how to react or deal with difficult situations. These thoughts didn’t let me sleep properly for weeks. These troubling thoughts have been nagging me ever since.

In this world of instant gratification, access to everything is just a click away. Therefore, even a minute’s delay sometimes agitates us. Best example can be the Delhi metro which has a 3-min service (except in bad weather or at late hours) but still, no one wants to wait for the next train. I agree there are times when one is late but how can everyone taking the metro always be running late? This behavior can also be seen on the Delhi roads especially during traffic jams where even five minutes of traffic jam will have us abuse people, motor-bikers, government, weather, roads and what not!

Sometimes I really wonder if we were better off without technology and related innovations. Times when we wrote letters and it took weeks to reach the person. When everyone watched one channel on TV together without people being on their phones watching different series on Netflix/Amazon Prime etc.

I feel that everyone is in a hurry these days, running, and no one wants to stop and breathe for a few minutes. As an individual, I understand the competition is high and all are trying to achieve the most, however, is that what life is about? Does getting all degrees, traveling to 100 countries, eating at the fanciest restaurants make one’s life better? 

The recent India-Pakistan conflict makes me wonder – if as individuals we can’t have inner peace then how can we even think of achieving world peace? I believe we need to create a space where life is about showing humanity’s best version for the coming generations. Everyone can aspire to become the best versions of themselves at least!