This Women’s Day Salaam Bombay Foundation Endeavours To Empower Young Girls

This International Women’s Day, NGO Salaam Bombay Foundation, endeavours to boost the morale of young girls, by presenting them with starter kits, pressure cookers, and bakery moulds, to encourage an entrepreneurial spirit among them.

For representation only.

A woman multitasks every single day, playing the role of a mother, a wife, a daughter, a professional, a homemaker and legion more roles – each with equal poise and grace. Her strength and indomitable spirit to excel in every profile that she lives, deserve a big salute. To honour women, each year, International Women’s Day is celebrated across the world on March 8, as a day dedicated to championing women’s achievements and challenging gender bias. This year, the day’s campaign theme is #BalanceforBetter, which is a call-to-action for driving gender balance around the world.

In keeping with the theme, Mumbai-based NGO Salaam Bombay Foundation is undertaking a special initiative to celebrate this day. The underlying objective is the fact that it is important to empower young girls in order to achieve gender equality.

On March 7, on the eve of Women’s Day, Salaam Bombay Foundation will felicitate young girls, who have excelled at the training programs organised by the NGO in the fields of beauty, wellness, and bakery in 2018. These training sessions were a part of a vocational skill development program that aims to equip underprivileged children with life skills that make them more employable, giving them a proper chance at getting real jobs and breaking their cycle of poverty.

The 14+ year-old girls hail from lesser-privileged homes, and have already started supplementing their families with additional income through the skills they acquired. Salaam Bombay Foundation wants to boost their morale by presenting them with starter kits, pressure cookers, and bakery moulds through the hands of a few women entrepreneurs, engage with them and get motivated by the stellar work they do.

Over 6.5 million young Indians are unemployed despite millions of jobs getting created every year. A major reason for this is the number of students that drop out of school by 8th grade – about 36%, the majority of which are from underprivileged backgrounds. While the government offers skills training to adults, enough is not done for adolescents. That’s why Salaam Bombay Foundation, a 17-year-old NGO, took up the cause to enable adolescents to continue their education and aspire for better careers.

In the current academic year, 1,946 Mumbai-based girls have been trained with 21st-century-relevant work skills by the Salaam Bombay Foundation team. Around 493 of them are already using these skills in entrepreneurial ventures to support their families and save for higher education.