This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Common Kashmiri. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

I Am A Kashmiri But A Proud Indian First. Why Is That So Hard To Believe?

To,

My Fellow Indians,

Today, I take the liberty of writing this letter to all of you, on behalf of the rest of Kashmir.

I am a Kashmiri, and it’s unfortunate that I need to prove that I am proud to be an Indian. I can die for my motherland, just like other Indians. I am deeply pained by the Pulwama attack, and I mourn the death of our martyrs, just like the rest of you.  Believe me or not, I was not able to sleep that night, for I couldn’t stop thinking about bravehearts and their families.

I know there are people spreading terrorism in the name of Islam, but believe me when I say that Islam does not allow us to hurt anyone. The Holy Quran categorically states “… take not life, which God has made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus does He command you, that you may learn wisdom” (Quran 6:151).

Suicide is prohibited in Islam. It is considered to be the biggest sin. It was narrated by Thaabit ibn Dahhaak that the Messenger of Allah, Prophet Mohammed once said: “Whoever kills himself with something will be punished with it on the Day of Resurrection.” 

Jundub ibn ‘Abd-Allah said, “A man among those who came before you was wounded. He panicked and took a knife and cut his hand, and the bleeding did not stop until he died. Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, said: ‘My slave hastened his death; I have forbidden Paradise to him.” Narrated by al-Bukhari (3276) and Muslim (113).

It is evident by the above mentioned Hadith (Sayings) of the Prophet, that in no case suicide is permissible in Islam. Suicide bombing is absolutely haraam (forbidden), and cannot be justified by any means.

I condemn the Pulwama attack vehemently. I do not support terrorism at all. I believe that no religion supports terrorism. No one can justify terrorism in my name.

Meanwhile, I would like to pose one question to my nation, to my fellow Indians- why I am being targeted in my own country for the things which I have not committed, for the things which I don’t support at all?

Today, I would like to make one thing clear once for all, that being a Kashmiri, does not mean that we support terrorism in any way, no matter what. I am against terrorism of all forms. I request my fellow Indians to treat me equally. I am equally pained by any untoward incident which occurs in our country. I am a citizen of this country. India is my Pride. I don’t hesitate in chanting Vande Mataram! I urge my government to take a strong stand against terrorism and terrorists, and to give a befitting reply to those who are responsible for the Pulwama attack.

My request to my fellow Indians is, please don’t look down upon Kashmiris as anti-nationals, we are as patriotic as the rest of you. We stand with the entire nation in this hour of grief. Our armed forces are our great heroes and our pride, and I have nothing but the highest regards for them and their family. I pray to Allah to give these martyrs the highest place in Jannah (heaven) and to grant courage to their family members in this hour of grief.

VANDE MATARAM!
JAI HIND!

The author of this letter can be reached at his twitter handle Ibne_fakhr or through his email id commonkashmiriboy@gmail.com.

1. Rizwana Ahmed

my dear Kashmirs(all) i am from Assam and I would like to tell you that I believe in you and all of you not just those who are chanting VAnde mataram, but also those who are dissatisfied with the authorities and i understand that being dissatisfied with governments does not make them anti are people national; and i know that there are a lot of Indians that believe in you without you having to prove your loyalties.and those who are targeting Kashmirs
    are people with political agendas and even if some of our people feel that Kashmirs are anti national they are just as misguided as those young Kashmiri boys are who take up guns, but I am sure you already know that. amid all the noise and chaos i am here just to let you know that we are here too..

More from Common Kashmiri

By Rahul Karanpuriya

By Harsh Singh

By Sheikh Hussain