Thank You Mom, For Encouraging Me To Feed My Travel Bug!

When was the last time you traveled with your mother?

My mom has been my travel companion for a lot of trips, within India and abroad. She odten immediately says yes for a trip because she knows my yearning to visit that place and the youth inside her wants to continue exploring as well. I remember she was always keen to send my brother and I on those school trips years ago. She infested the travel bug inside me.

I remember in Sri Lanka two years ago, against all odds, she more than willingly, began the trek to the top of Sigiriya rock (1200 uneven stairs). Ultimately, her knees did not allow her to complete it. When she realised she can no longer continue, she simply sat on the side and said, “You go enjoy, I will see you down here.” Well, it was a long wait for her but she did not complain, only worried for my safety. She was elated when I showed her the videos later.

Sometimes when I want to explore part of a new city (especially for my camera) and it does not interest her, she doesn’t have any qualms about it. My father and her either wait in a nearby cafe or sometimes just in the shade of trees while I go play with the camera. They always have the option to stay back at the hotel but their concern for me supersedes the tiredness of long walks and general disinterest in the place!

Mom, thanks for believing in me and letting me take those solo trips. Thanks for traveling with me, thanks for letting me travel with friends. Thanks for encouraging the traveler in me!

Here’s hoping you take that Europe trip of yours soon! And let me go on my next solo trip without much debate (get used to them, mom). Here is to my travel buddy, my friend, my confidante, my mother. Happy Mother’s Day!

PS: Most good pictures of me have been captured by my mom, after a lot of retakes though.

Featured image provided by author.