Has The BJP’s Northeast Sweep Come At The Cost Of The Citizenship Amendment Bill?

Out of 25 seats across 8 states of the northeast, the BJP and its allies have won 18, the Congress have won 4, and other regional parties have won in Manipur (NPF), Meghalaya (NPP), Sikkim (SKM) one seat each. A clean sweep for the BJP, this was the party’s best performance in the northeast despite the party having suffered backlash on the issue of the Citizenship Amendment Bill.

I feel that the result of this election is only because the Modi-led NDA government successfully connected to people of the northeast; better than the previous governments. I must admit that construction work like highways, river bridges, railway connections have been sped up to another level, but this does not mean that local leaders and newly elected MPs forget the violence and disturbances that were a result of protest against the CAB.

Recently, a prominent leader of Assam, Himanta Biswa Sharma from the BJP said, “In Assam and Northeast, we have clearly said that if the BJP is voted to power, we will bring the bill again. People realised that this is a serious bill that restores our civilization and that’s why people across the east and northeast have accepted this and this results is in the favour of the citizenship bills.”

But, as a citizen of Assam, I don’t agree with him. I feel that the people of Assam or other northeastern states have not voted them in because we have accepted the Bill, but because not a single other party has answered the simple question, “If not Modi, then who?”

Yes, like any other state, the people of northeast also voted for effective leadership. The local leaders must understand this!

As a citizen of Assam, I cannot see my motherland burning because of an issue that deals with the betterment of those who are not originally from this land. It is a humble request from a citizen to the elected leaders, regional parties and local leaders to discuss the Bill again with the people of northeast before making any decision on it. I know issues like unemployment, the drinking water crisis, pollution, education and health are far more important than the Bill, but the only reason I point it out is because I don’t want to see Assam burning like it did a few months ago.

Lastly, I hope the MPs, irrespective of their party will work together for the betterment of our people and will always raise their voice for safeguarding the interest of the northeast. Here’s hoping for a better future together!

Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Northeast Now.

Do you find online payments safe?

Take this survey and help companies and the government make online payments safer for you.

Take the Survey

Share your details to download the report. We promise not to spam or send irrelevant information.