This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Somya Sundriyal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Kabir Singh: A Counterview On Feminist Criticism

More from Somya Sundriyal

Warning: people with the feminist ideologies read this at your own risk. We have already heard your views on the movie “Kabir Singh”. Now let’s take a look at the positive side.

The movie “Kabir Singh” starring Shahid Kapoor has been in the news a lot these days. People can’t stop criticising the film, because it depicts toxic masculinity. Well, I won’t disagree, but positively analysing this aspect won’t harm me or anyone else.

So, this movie starts with Kabir falling in love with Preeti. For starters, let’s not confuse the actors with their characters. I would only use the character names and won’t say Shahid did this and that because, in reality, he did not.

So coming back to the film, he falls in love with Preeti. To me, Preeti seems to be a very fragile and innocent character who cannot speak for herself. Kabir takes a stand for her everywhere. He takes care of her, and that’s what she loves about him. But nowhere can we see disapproval or hesitation in her expressions towards Kabir’s actions. When she saw Kabir giving his all for her, she, too, fell in love with him. She took the first step to hold his hand to indirectly express her love for him.

We say women are strong, they can take a stand for themselves—but no one ever said that all women are strong. Not everyone is the same. Not everyone is bold, strong and outspoken; similarly, not everyone is soft, shy and afraid. We are all different. She loves Kabir and wants to be with him. She doesn’t want to be with anyone else. Kabir is very protective of her, as we can see how he beats up the guy who misbehaved with her. Well, we all say that the rapists should be hanged so that no one ever dares to rape or molest any other girl or woman. So it felt good when Kabir beats the shit out of this guy. And I won’t call this violence. I would instead call this masculinity, the masculinity to protect his girl. But what I really found disturbing was the scene where Kabir slaps Preeti for no reason. And that was the only moment in the film that made me uneasy and uncomfortable.

Love in itself is something which makes or breaks a person. Many people often get depressed because of relationships and breakups. We can’t deny that there are many Kabir Singhs in this society who are suffering and have no clue about this. Addiction to love can make you do anything. It’s not normal to see people destroying their life for love; it’s rather disturbing.

Kabir comes back home for his grandmother’s funeral. And that’s when he realises the importance of life. Nothing could bring him back except for the death of his grandmother. You are with someone today, and the next moment, they are gone. You cannot do anything about it. What you can do is to be with people who are around you.

Kabir finally meets Preeti and asks her to come with him. Preeti doesn’t say no to him and reveals that she had left the house of her in-laws three days after the marriage because she could not live with a stranger. She also tells him that she is pregnant with his child.

This kind of pure love doesn’t seem normal in society. Getting married and leaving your in-laws home is so not acceptable either. But she did all this. Finally, we see the weak and shy Preeti take a stand for herself and wait for Kabir to come back. She wanted to spend her life with Kabir, and that’s what happens in the end. Kabir is back to his usual self again, and Preeti is happy. Their true love reunites them to celebrate a new chapter of their life: parenthood.

I would like to add that Kabir, who seems to be hungry for sex at the beginning of the film and the way he scares the nurse was unacceptable. But he does realise his mistake. Later, he tells the actress, who shows interest in him about his situation with Preeti and clarifies that he is only interested in a no strings attached relationship. He never made any false promises of love just to sleep with someone.

1. Aniruddh Shrivastava

Much needed article. We need more rational thinkers and writers like you.

Thank you for writing.

1. Somya Sundriyal

Thank you for reading this. I was afraid at first.?

2. miscellaneous

Completely agree with your idea, that rather than blatantly terming actors as misogynistic, critics should be talking abt character in the movie. Though I don’t agree that there is a positive side to such character depiction, I believe this should call a healthy discussion abt character traits and impacts associated with it.

and if anyone says that such movies shouldn’t be made, citing negative impacts on social behavior, are ignoring the opportunity this film provides to point out and discourage such behaviors. After all, the movie was given A grade and not screened forcefully.

1. Somya Sundriyal

Glad that you read.
      There is always a positive side of everything. No one is born the way character is depicted. One completely turns odd according to the events happening in life. The character also depicts loyalty and love for profession.
      You have a point , I understand. Maybe i am person with more positive vibes and thoughts ? but then also i see the negatives.
      Thank you

3. Sonali

Good article . Very well written .

More from Somya Sundriyal

By Sushil Kuwar

By Shashi.

By Manish Kirdoliya