Will Delhi-NCR’s Air Pollution Force Us To Move From Mouth Masks To Oxygen Cylinders?

Yesterday was World Environment Day, i.e. June 5. We were ready with our posts, stories, articles on the same; we will now pay heed to the environment. But, all concern will fade away in a few days. This is yearly routine.

This year’s theme was air pollution. The quality of air is depleting with time and different factors are responsible for it. Health hazards related to bad air quality are increasing and some humans are sitting like helpless creatures while some are trying their best to worsen the situation. Britain and Ireland have already declared a climate emergency in their countries, and have also put forward the measures of tackling the situation.

As of now, air pollution can be labelled as the most dangerous one. It impacts our nervous, respiratory, and digestive system all at one go.

How Smog Has Taken Hold Of Our Lives

Smog drastically affects the NCR in the winter, being set off by the Diwali season. According to a Greenpeace report, out of 1600 cities, Delhi has the worst quality of air. Motor vehicle emissions is one of the biggest reasons accountable for the bad air quality. Burning garbage and illegal industrial activities are other causes. As the winter descends, dust particles in the air get trapped and affect weather conditions, resulting in smog. These dust particles are harmful if inhaled.

Most people already know about the harmful effects of air pollution, but what they don’t know is that this issue requires tantamount focus as any other world issue. General public and the government need to ensure that factors contributing to the pollution be taken into consideration for an improved life. If the vehicle smoke and harmful gases are not reduced, it might lead to serious health hazards for our future generations.

What Steps Should We Take?

• A law should be passed to ensure that every vehicle is pollution checked. This law should be upheld.
  • Illegal industries should be shut down. This may sound unachievable, but it must be considered if we are to make a difference in our living standards.
  • More trees should be planted, and deforestation should be avoided. Environmental clearances must be tightly regulated for this.
  • Carbon burning should be prohibited. Across all areas, all industries.
  • People should switch from a high-meat diet to a low one, this will help to fight greenhouse gases. This is by far one of the best things we can do for the planet.
  • Excessive burning of crackers should be avoided, especially during Diwali and New Year’s Eve. This goes without saying, especially at this point.
  • Proper maintenance of public transport is necessary, especially in places like Delhi. Perhaps encouraging more people to use public transport instead of their personal vehicles will be a good place to start.

Air pollution has become a great concern for environmentalists. Presently, many people suffer from respiratory diseases like asthma, chronic bronchitis and cystic fibrosis. If today’s generation is so badly affected, how will it impact the health of our future generations? Air quality may degrade to an unimaginable extent. It will probably come down to people carrying oxygen cylinders with them.

However, it is not too late. Let’s think about what we can do and save our present and preserve our future.

Featured image for representative purpose only.