This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Shruti Gill. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

10 Inspiring Individuals Who Are Using Social Media To Make Positive Impact

June 30 was World Social Media Day! Today, social media is a significant part of our lives not just personally but also professionally. It is a great boon but like is the case with everything awesome, there is a flip side to it too. While social media has revolutionized the way we live and has connected the entire world, there are definitely those who spread negativity and hatred under the garb of anonymity. The trolls and the instant need to take a dig at someone to make a point can certainly be a put off as all this makes the environment online hostile.

But, there are certainly many who spread positivity and cheer in the online world and are using social media to truly make a difference. These are the kind of people who realize the power of social media and go out of their way to use it in the best possible manner. They inspire, motivate and most importantly spread love.

Here are ten social media accounts/profiles which will surely light up your day and inspire you to do your bit too. These are not your usual B-town celebrities but are changemakers who have left a mark for themselves in their lines of work and have made a significant impact to make the world a better place.

Aditi Gupta

Aditi Gupta is an author and the founder of ‘Menstrupedia’ which is a much-needed initiative to educate society about menstrual health and hygiene. In spite of being criticized initially for initiating conversations around a taboo subject, Aditi kept going with undeterred efforts to use social media to spread awareness about menstruation. She has also launched a comic book for girls between the ages of 9 and 14, which helps normalize period talks at home and outside.

Her ground-breaking platform has so far reached out to several people and she continues to come up with various initiatives and collaborations to make a significant impact in the area of menstrual health. She was also listed on the Forbes India U-30 List.

Anupama Dalmia

Anupama Dalmia is a multiple award-winning blogger, popular social influencer, author, mentor, counsellor and multi-faceted entrepreneur. She is passionate about using her voice to give a voice to others and writes about various social issues as well as on matters related to raising the future generation. She strongly believes that a society can evolve only when there is openness to learn and unlearn and that social media can play a key role in initiating dialogues around the problems faced by us today.

There is a certain freshness and charm in the way she inspires others and motivates them to be their best by being a ray of hope for all her followers especially women. She was a finalist in the category of “Social Media Icon” at the iWoman Global Awards 2019.

Larissa D’Sa

Larissa D’Sa is a well-known YouTuber and Vlogger whose fantastic videos on DIY, art and beauty inspire several women to be their creative best and follow their passion. She has a great fan following on all her social media platforms and is a perfect balance of content and popularity.

Her travel videos have a unique flavour which gives the viewers an experience that always stays with them. Her videos are informative, spunky, cheerful and motivating. She is a graphic designer and illustrator by profession and loves to doodle and illustrate.

Natasha Noel

Natasha Noel is inspiration personified and brings love and fitness together to make the best use of social media. She is a body positive influencer and a fitness enthusiast. Love and kindness are her religion, so, it comes as no surprise that she has a humongous following on social media. She encourages and motivates her followers to love themselves through the process of staying fit. She has come out and spoken about her personal struggles and how yoga helped her overcome her anxiety and depression. Her dedication, passion and determination comes through in all her posts and she sure spreads good vibes in the online space to make an impact.

Neelima Vallangi

Neelima Vallangi is an award-winning travel writer and photographer and her journey from quitting her job to making it where she is today is a great inspiration. She motivates her followers to explore and look at travel from a different perspective. Her posts can be extremely uplifting even on the worst of days. The stunning pictures of breath-taking locales or viewing something seemingly mundane from her lens will definitely push you to pick up that camera and set out on a soul searching journey. She does not just inspire but spreads happy vibes by taking her followers on a virtual tour wherever she goes.

View this post on Instagram

Embracing my brand new nerd look #OnAssignment in Simikot! ? . Thrilled to be on an exciting recon trip with @_icimod in Nepal. Here on a reporting grant to a remote valley in Humla district as a media person. The journey has barely started so far and I’ve already seen some pretty wonderful things. Likely I’ll come back with amazing stories from this hidden corner on Nepal Tibet border. . Nothing but gratitude for all the wrong and right turns I took in life that brought me here at this point in time. Travel to me has never been about sightseeing or finding myself in a pretty place. It has always been about the spirit of exploration- chasing the elusive and often forgotten places on the map. This trip is perhaps as exciting as it can get for me in Nepal, it’s taking us a week to reach this valley on various modes of transportation- big flights, small aircrafts, on foot, off-roading some more on trucks, on horses too so far. So even though my bank balance is in paltry hundreds as I type this with several bills pending and I’m owed a ridiculous amount of money due right now, the silver lining of my life as a freelancer is perhaps that I’m here living this seemingly unreal dream! ??‍♀️ . And I will be going off the grid starting today, so don’t miss me too much, yeah? ? . ?= @jitucha

A post shared by Neelima Vallangi (@neelimav) on

Paromita Bardoloi

Paromita Bardoloi is a brilliant poet, award-winning writer, book reviewer and a performing artist. Her words have depth, pain, freedom and a keen understanding of human emotions and relationships. She says it like it is and never shies away from raising her voice on matters that matter. She takes a strong stand, yet is respectful in the way she engages with her followers to ensure that a constructive discussion can lead to an exchange of important ideas and thoughts. She does not just talk but walks the talk and gets involved in numerous initiatives to be the change that she wishes to see in the world.

Prachi Deo

Prachi Deo is the Founder and Executive Director of Nayi Disha Resource Centre which is an online information resource that supports families of persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD). Her social media posts related to IDD show that she deeply cares for the cause. She goes the extra mile with passion and empathy to equip the impacted families with relevant information that can help improve their caregiving abilities and empower them to become stronger advocates for their wards.

Her sensitive and insightful posts also help bust myths around IDD and are aimed at raising awareness on the subject, as our society is still quite limited in our knowledge in this space.

Rashi Vidyasagar

Rashi Vidyasagar is a criminologist and feminist who is battling PCOS; and is on an important mission to spread awareness about mental health. She has extensive experience working in the areas of mental health, and violence against women, and their linkages to health and well being. She works at India’s largest foundation for mental health awareness – White Swan Foundation – and believes in leveraging technology and social media to reach out to those in need and provide her unflinching support. Her honest and insightful posts on social media about these taboo topics not only enrich her followers but also help trigger discussions on matters which are crucial in today’s times.

The Saree Saga

The Saree Saga is a popular Facebook group which was founded by entrepreneur Vedaprana Purkayastha in 2015. What started as a group to promote draping turned out to be a life-changing community for a large number of women. Vedaprana took it upon herself to go beyond the walls to inspire and motivate womenfolk. TSS has conducted various events to celebrate diversity and promote inclusiveness in every sense of the word. Through her unique initiative, Vedaprana ensures that she touches upon every social vice to make a difference, however big or small, to the society. Her honest and sincere social media posts are sure to win every heart.

Your Turn Now

Founded by diamond merchant Rushabh Turakhia, Your Turn Now is a Global Kindness Movement which is possibly one of the most heart-touching handles to follow on social media. Rushabh is a perfect example of those who are changing themselves and proving that selflessness does exist in today’s world. There cannot be a better use of the power of social media. Your Turn Now aims to spread the message of kindness with the use of a lovely blue YTN card that serves as a reminder for the owner to perform a kind deed.

Rushabh actively shares numerous ideas with followers to perform simple acts of kindness in our day to day lives to make this world a kinder and more compassionate place to live in.

Posted by Rushabh Turakhia on Wednesday, 17 April 2019

Their reach is increasing by the day and deservedly so for they have truly unleashed the power of social media to its full potential. Follow them on all social media platforms this World Social Media Day, if you haven’t already!

Featured image source: Aditi Gupta; Neelima Vallangi; Natasha Noel/Instagram.

More from Shruti Gill

By Tapesh Upadhyay

By Vanita Ganesh

By Himanshu Pandey